Sunday, June 16, 2013

How Time Flies

It is hard to believe that three weeks have gone by since my last post.  Unfortunately I have been a bit under the weather during this time.  Nothing major but enough to make me feel unwell.

Still, I have been on a couple of Parkinson Walks.  The first one which was on a back road started with a rainbow.









and finished as usual with a coffee

We always seem to be lucky with the weather.                          

Doug has been helping me in so many ways including taking Max out - we have taken him down to the Town Basin twice now.  It was a little chilly but sunny.  He was well rugged up and always likes to see the boats and have a muffin and coffee.



The next Parkinson Walk was at the Quarry Gardens where we had a very good turnout.








There are some fascinating plants and walks of various degrees of difficulty - ideal for our group.  We then went down to the Town Basin for a coffee and Doug and I went to the Drummond exhibition of photographs and paintings.







Of course it is the start of winter and getting cold.  Kath knows where the best places are depending on the time of day.




Sophie has been having trouble with her leg due to arthritis so we did not walk her for a few days.  Yesterday was soccer once again.



On top of this I had a minor repair done on my car which turned out to be fairly lengthy as the wrong part was sent TWICE - right box - wrong part!!!!

I took Max to the hospital to have dental work done.  He had one temporary filling and I have to take him back for three fillings and possibly an extraction.  It is good getting him into the Hospital Dental Clinic.  The Rest Home has a wheelchair vehicle so it is just a matter of accompanying him.

The following day I had a large filling.  I hope it is all right as I had no pain before the filling but have pain now.  I don't want to have to pay (or go through the procedure) again.

The next day I attended a full day Workshop on the Health of Older People arranged by the Northland District Health Board.  I was the only non medical person of the eighty or so people involved. I found it fascinating and look forward to the follow up workshops as the Hospital looks at ways to improve its service to older people.

Following on from that I later attended a seminar on "end of life services" provided by the hospital.

On Thursday I had a physiotherapist visit Max to help with his standing as, when we took him out, we had difficulty getting him into the car.  He is now having exercises to enable him to straighten his legs.

Apart from the Rest Home doing his exercises Doug has been visiting with me and doing them for him.    Unfortunately, he has not been good mentally in the last few days although his physical health seems good.

In between times I have been doing work in the garden and all the usual household jobs.  Unfortunately, I missed the last Parkinson walk up Mt. Parahaki as I had an Alzheimer's Carers' Meeting to attend but all the walkers reached the top.



10 comments:

  1. There has been gentle rain for most of the day today - a good chance to catch up with some indoor jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty cheery time you've had. I doubt if your dentist would charge you in order to remedy his pain-inducing work. In fact I think he should pay YOU. Very hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan you have been a very busy woman. Hope you are feeling better and quite ahead of the weather. Remember to dry your potato skins by the wood stove and put them in to burn the creasone from your pipes this winter. I am happy we have warm rains here to hopefully germinate the seeds we just planted this past week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't heard of the potato skins - will give it a go. Pleased to hear you have the rain for your seeds.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you've been under the weather, Susan. Dental work that actually creates pain can't have helped. I do hope you soon feel better. You've been busy nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busier than ever today. Still putting off going back to the Dentist and hoping it comes right on its own.

      Delete
  5. Hope you are back on the mend now. ((HUGS)

    I had to enlarge your potbelly photos, we had one in our first home - wonderful!!! We wanted to put one in her but by laws say need clean burning one... Our new one is a joke puts out way too much smoke and doesn't stay going all night. The old Potbelly was the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a potbelly in our previous house as well and with the wetback it is just wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sue, hope you're feeling better soon. Glad you were able to make one or two of the walks, the pictures are lovely. the weather has turned quite cold and unsettled here too. Have had to put the gas fire back on the last couple of nights,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling a lot better Molly. Busier than ever though. Still it is better than being bored.

      Delete