Wednesday, April 2, 2014

STRESSFUL NIGHT

A friend from Queensland has been staying for the past week and was booked to go down to Auckland by bus this morning.

We were set for an early night when the phone rang at 9.30 p.m. and it was the Rest Home to say that Max had a seizure and had been taken to hospital by ambulance.

Doug very kindly came back and took me in.  We found Max on oxygen, with a tube up his nose and asleep after being given drugs but still having slight seizures.

A little while later he was taken off for a C.T. scan.  Shortly after he returned a very pleasant young doctor (Gary) came in and questioned me about Max's general state of health.  When I told him about his dementia and being immobile etc. he asked whether he wanted resuscitation and talked about how animals just go off somewhere quiet to go to sleep and the fact that in our culture we tend to keep giving fluids which delay the inevitable.

If I had not been there he would have performed a lumbar puncture and other procedures but said that they were far too invasive and would also be too painful.  As  Max also had a temperature he asked whether I wanted him to have antibiotics to which I replied that I would like him to if they made him more comfortable.

 The doctor then said he would make the decision for me and not give him the antibiotics and after phoning the Rest Home to check that they could administer the drugs that he would prescribe to be used if Max had another such seizure he said Max would be ambulanced back to the Rest Home.

He was also sending a letter stating that Max should have only comfort care.  I said I would wait until the ambulance came to take him back to the home but the doctor said that I should go home and get some sleep.

I finally got to bed just after midnight and  got to sleep just after 2.30 waking again at 4.30.  (I need my sleep).

I went in this morning and the Home had Max sitting in a lazy-boy chair fast asleep.  I stayed for about 30 minutes but, as he was still asleep and I had my guest to look after I returned home.

We went back later this afternoon and he looked a lot better although he was slurring his speech.

Don't know what the prognosis is but I feel we have turned a corner.  I just hope he doesn't suffer.

13 comments:

  1. {{big hugs}} Susan...you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you have your visitor from Queensland for support and company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think I will sleep well tonight. Up early in the morning for a fasting blood test.

      Delete
  2. Susan , this can be a lonely time, even with dearest friends right there. Decisions are so hard to make, you are brave, loving, and caring, and I'm sure that Max will not be allowed any pain or suffering at all. What a wonderful Doctor you had. You, Linda, and me down here, all having really hard days and nights, hang in there, Big hugs, XXX Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so pleased we had that doctor who saved Max from a lot of unnecessary suffering. You have lost me with "Linda" - I am not fully up to date with blogs. Just hope Hugh keeps free of pain (or at least with low pain).

      Delete
  3. ((hugs)))) the young dr sounds wonderful and caring for both of you. Sending lots of love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sue, what a time for you. It brings back to me the decisions we had to make for Dad last year. Him being comfortable was our main concern and not prolonging things unnecessarily. Be comforted by the knowledge that you are taking the hardest yet strongest and least selfish path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difficult night for you. I am so glad that you had friends around to get you through this.

    I have, and everyone should have, a living will so people will not have to make end of life decisions for me. I watched my mom be kept alive with costly and painful procedures that gave her a few more months of life but no quality. You and Max were blessed to have a good doctor to guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray everything goes as pain free as possible, for Max, and also within your Heart, Sue. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That young doctor sounds very sensible and compassionate. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having just gone through this with my late mother I sympathize with you and all my prayers are for peace of mind and perhaps some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs from me.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sue, I've not been on my computer for a couple of nights and have just read this. I'm so sorry. A big hug from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A turning point, you're right. Thank goodness for a young and compassionate doctor. I wish there were more like him. Hugs, Susan.

    ReplyDelete