Saturday, May 3, 2014

MONARCH BUTTERFLIES

It was a bad summer for the Monarch Butterflies - no-one seemed to have any caterpillars until autumn.  With bad weather forecast over Easter I brought the few caterpillars I could find inside.

I ended up with 8 chrysalises inside.  Two butterflies emerged on Thursday night.  Here are some photos.

I was pleased with this shot of the one chrysalis with the butterfly about to emerge and the other still green.


This is the same one just after emerging and still has crinkled wings.


This is the other one the next morning just before being put outside in the sunshine.


I was able to put fresh flowers in the vase once this one had emerged.

13 comments:

  1. These are wonderful Susan!
    I hope you print off the bottom photo it will make such a pretty card to send to family and friends.
    I haven't had a swan plant since the children were young - I must do it again next summer!
    I'm having a day in the garden, I've just come in for a cool drink!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before my husband went into the Rest Home I used to bring them inside so that he could watch them. Should have been in the garden but another busy day which started at 6.30, going to the Growers Market followed by a walk and back home for Doug to work on installing my new oven. Off to see Tom Binns as Ian D Montfort this evening.

      Delete
  2. A one-woman wildlife park. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea, saving the chrysalises - I haven't seen many at all this year, usually we have a lot. Lovely photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the wasps got all the early caterpillars.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely series of photos from chrysalise to beautiful Monarch butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely butterflies and it is great watching the cycle.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating - well done to you.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. those photos are amazing - so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue I love that you did this ... beautiful ! and thank you for your well wishes for Rob xx

    ReplyDelete