Saturday, January 10, 2015

85 YEARS OLD TODAY

Today is my lovely hubby's 85th birthday.  Unfortunately, he doesn't know it.  He has been sleeping more and more in the last few months and even when he is awake there is "no-one home".

Yesterday, when I went in he was in bed asleep  (he is usually sitting in a lazy boy chair) he was not looking at all well.  Today, he was once more in the lounge in his lazy boy.  I am not sure if he was awake when I arrived but he did not open his eyes or show any reaction.  He then fell into a deep sleep.

I had bought him some more summer weight trousers - not always easy to find as he must have an elastic waist to make it easier for the caregivers to dress and undress him.  Anyway,  I managed to find one pair that just needed shortening.

I unwrapped his present for him and put the trousers in his drawer and sat and held his hand.  There is a blind lady in the home and she was very restless so I went and brought her wheelchair over to where I was sitting with Max and chatted to her until it was time for them all to have their lunch.


 
I love this photo of Max taken when we were still on our "lifestyle" property in the Far North - it was taken seven years ago. 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, how our lives changes when a partner, husband,or other family person is ill. There isn't any easy way to manage a birthday, we did go out and had a lovely lunch, crutches all the way.Sending YOU many loving thoughts for today, with hopes you cope with Max' illness the best way you can. Big hugs. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. Pleased you and Hugh were able to go out and have an enjoyable lunch in spite of the crutches. If I didn't have Doug for support I don't know how I would cope. As I hear so often "Getting old isn't easy.

      Love and hugs to you.

      Delete
  2. It must be so difficult for you to have your husband there but not present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to get harder rather than easier as time goes on and he gets worse.

      The only good thing about it is that he doesn't know what is happening to him. He would hate being completely dependant.

      Delete
  3. The best we can hope is that our loved ones are comfortable. I am so glad that you have the support from Doug. Life does go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even keeping him comfortable is an effort. The staff do their best but, as with all rest homes there are still things that I must point out that I think they should have done.

      Delete
  4. It must be so hard to know that the lively, humorous personality in the photo is no longer with you, Susan. Hugs from the other side of the world. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a long time since I have seen the "old" Max. I hope your wrist is progressing well. Don't overdo it. Hugs back from a hot Kamo. 31 degrees c. in my porch today.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sue, it must be so hard for you. Hugs from me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly, I hope things are going well for you both. More hugs from here.

      Delete
  6. You are very strong! This is the most beautiful present!

    ReplyDelete