Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dragonfly Springs Wetland Sanctuary

Earlier in the month Jeremy Busck talked to the Kamo Club about these wetlands and there was an open day on Sunday so, after we had done our dog walking and been to the gym, we drove to Onerahi with a picnic and had a thoroughly enjoyable walk around the wetlands.


 We started off by having our picnic in a pleasant shady spot near this lake.  The nesting boxes on poles are for Grey Teal.

                                  


When I saw this rock wall I assumed it was new and was amazed at the workmanship but it turned out to be 100 years old.  We didn't discover why it was there.


                                 


and here it is from the other side.


There were some very pleasant walkways




These cabbage trees (or palms as they are called in Cornwall) were on a small island.



 We came back the same way - there is the rock wall again


                                  

and next to it was this "Dragonfly"  unfortunately all the dragonflies had left for the day along with the ducks and other wildlife



We then discovered that we could have come through this way.  It was a bit wet in parts due to a spring tide but there are plans to put a board-walk in.






This sign must have been discarded by the local school.


16 comments:

  1. I don't know why the photos are all over the place they are in a straight line on the draft!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wall IS rather puzzling. It seems to have no purpose. It looks like an artwork by Barry Flanagan or Andy Goldsworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The large stones on the top of the wall is interesting. There must be a story about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As there were a lot of volcanoes in the district there are many rock walls - this one was splendid.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if the wall was part of an old homestead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps at the bottom of the garden as the area is a wetland, although it is obviously solid ground where the wall itself is built.

      Delete
  5. Love your pictures Sue. Perhaps the dry stone wall is or was a boundary line of some sort. A lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. It seems so odd being just a short wall.

      Delete
  6. What a super walk - very interesting indeed. That's a very nice bit of dry-stone wall, but I'm another who can't imagine why it was built there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sue
    Those wetlands are such interesting places to walk - I've noted it for when my family come over from France - they love getting out in the countryside!
    Love the nesting boxes for the Grey Teal!
    Thank you for popping into my blog - I couldn't find your email so I'm answering your question here!
    That's not a hotel on the waterfront but a restaurant called "Soul". Beautiful spot and great food but expensive - I've been for a couple of friends birthdays! There is a hotel around the corner called Sofitel - I went there once when they were doing a three course lunche for $19 (again a birthday) but I have a feeling they don't do it any more! You can check it out on Google!
    Trivago is a good website for hotel bookings – good deals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sue - It looks like a lovely walk, I must do it sometime - exactly where is it? is it open to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is at Onerahi near the Waimahanga track. There was an open day. If you google it you will find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, I know the Waimahanga track. I think this track is going to be part of a cycle way from the town center out to Onerahi - I already ride my bike around the Town Basin Loop, so I am looking forward to going further afield on a purpose built track.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, that last comment of mine is timed at 12.41am! - somethings wrong here, this one (a couple of minutes after that last one) is timed on my computer at 8.42pm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just letting you know that I have copied these pictures to the New Facebook page for the Dragonfly Springs wetland. I have credited your blog to the page as well to show where they have come from.

    ReplyDelete