Wednesday, June 20, 2018

RAIN & WILD PORK

It is not often that we get rain all day but today is one of those days.  There is also wind and the temperature has dropped.  The fire has been going all day and I have not even poked my nose outside.  I have managed to catch up with answering some emails and cooked up some food for Sophie (legumes, rice, vegetables, oats etc.). 

I also made a batch of pikelets (small buckwheat pancakes) for afternoon tea.  We don't usually have the luxury of afternoon tea.

This afternoon we received a chilly bin of wild pork from a friend of  Doug - I think there about three legs and three forequarters (possibly  more - it was frozen and went straight in the freezer).  I have never cooked wild pork (boar) befoe and would appreciate any suggestions.  Long and slow is the obvious thought but what about flavourings.  

I imagine Jean from All Points of the Compass would have ideas and also Cro as you mentioned hunting wild boar in a recent post.  

Any suggestions appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. I have never cooked anything wild in my life so I can’t help you. Maybe Doug’s friend can give you advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He roasts his with a bottle of ginger ale. I was just hoping for some interesting alternatives. Still raining this morning.

      Delete
  2. I'm still waiting for local hunters to give me even part of the snout; no such luck! However, I believe it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You believe the snout is delicious. I had assumed that when you used to hunt it was for wild boar for the table. Did I get it wrong.

      Delete