Sunday, June 17, 2018

A FAIRLY NORMAL SATURDAY

Yesterday, we decided to start a little later than usual and got up at 7 a.m. to go to the market.  We enjoyed our market shopping with the produce changing with the season.  It was then down to the Town Basin to walk Sophie and buy some Apple Cider Vinegar at an eco shop. A couple of months ago I purchased some items on line and they didn't quite reach the "free postage" level so I added a bottle of Goulter's A.C.V.  It was delicious and we were pleased to find it available in bulk to fill ones own bottle in an eco shop close to where we walk Sophie so that is what I did yesterday.

We then went to the Supermarket for the items on my list but when I noticed some pasta I decided to buy a couple of packs of mince and some mushrooms as an extra.

We got home about 9.30 a.m. and after breakfast Doug started work on the sunroom and I started preparing and cooking food.  First I diced lots of vegetables and the mushrooms and cooked the mince.  Once that was cooking I cut up the salmon I had bought and froze it in individual portions.

At this stage it was getting close to lunch time and as we are having our main meal I started making a fish pie.  I had bought a large fillet of Monkfish and put it into some seasoned milk to cook.  I had cooked extra mashed potatoe yesterday for the topping as well as a couple of hard boiled eggs.

I had just got to this stage when Doug's eldest Whangarei grandson arrived with his partner.  They were moving from home into a flat and he had come around at 7 a.m. to borrow a trolley to help with the move.  We sat and had a catch up with them before they headed off to do their first supermarket shop.

I then finished the fish pie and we had it a short while later with some broccoli from the garden.  After lunch I made some soup having boiled some bacon bones and, separately, some split peas and lentils the previous day , so I just had to prepare the vegetables and add the stock then the legumes.  Once this was cooking I packed up some mussels that we had bought at the market.  We bought two pottles but, as each one does us for two meals, I like to divide and freeze them so we have four packs in the freezer now.  They are the most delicious raw mussels.

I then trimmed up a piece of topside ready to cook first thing today.  After that I had a shower and put my feet up for a  few minutes while making some phone calls.

Afterwards we had our soup for our evening meal and settled down to watch the U.K. Antiques Road Show followed by a half hour of news and then Phil Spencer's Stately Homes.  I managed to stay awake for Antiques and the Stately Homes but suppose it is not surprising that I had a sleep during the news.

This morning I got up at 6 a.m. and put the topside to cook in a slow cooker and we have just eaten it with some mash and red cabbage.  I will now get the mince packaged up ready to freeze for some instant meals.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mainly drink it. I drink a lot of water and always have some ACV in it. I also use it in some recipes.

      Delete
  2. We do the same with cider vinegar, I drink it about 3 times a week, it keeps my gut clear and ensures I don't have anymore issues with yeast infections etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink it several times a day but I don't add a lot each time. I was talking to the ladies who run the eco shop and they drink it much stronger than I do.

      Delete
  3. A busy few days, for you both, I did some sewing, traced another applique block, had people look at the house and land??? We will still be here for some time I am thinking. A few spots of rain, and cool tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all seem to be busy Jean. A lovely sunny day here but ab out 3 p.m. it starts to cool down and is time to light the fire. Hope you find some suitable purchasers.

      Delete
  4. We drink ACV too,good with a little local honey.
    I make my own..start with unfiltered,organic ACV and you'll see the Mother at the bottom of the bottle. Use the last of the bottle with this cloudiness and add a bottle of cider (pref organic) in a large preserving jar covered with double thickness muslin..and leave it to its own devices. When its turned to ACV,decant it off and add the next bottle of cider to the growing Mother....
    I don't know how your prices compare,but ACV is more expensive than cider here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will stick to buying it - I was surprised at how cheap it was getting the bottle refilled.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm. I do love seafood. I wish I could say I've ever eaten fish pie. We have savory pies here, but they are not really the norm these days. I love a good steak pie.

    Antiques Roadshow can't be beat. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pastry in my fish pie. Poached fish with leeks, sweetcorn and a couple of halved hard boiled eggs with a topping of mashed potatoe and kumara (sweet potatoe) sprinkled with grated cheese and in the oven for about 20 minutes. Delicious.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh...got it. Your recipe does sound very delicious.

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you last weekend Susan. Sounds like you are all set for meals for a bit - I wish I was that organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to catch up with you. Yes, I always like to make a good quantity of mince or casserole and have "ready meals for two" in the freezer.

      Delete