Tuesday, October 2, 2018

COOKING OILS


I use a variety of oils.  

Extra Virgin Avocado Oil is my favourite both in dressings and for cooking.  I add it to mashed potatoe with a little butter.  

Extra virgin Olive Oil is used as an alternative.

Sunflower Oil is used in some baking recipes.

Coconut oil is another favourite although I try not to use it too much as I gather it is not good for cholesterol.

I have a lovely bottle of White Truffle Oil which my stepdaughter gave me in my Christmas parcel and I have used with mushrooms although any other suggestions would be welcome.

Hemp Seed oil is the one I put on my morning bowl of porridge.

I also have some Rice Bran oil but am not as keen on that.

Apart from a little in mashed potatoe I often use a little butter with the oil for frying.

What do other people use?


12 comments:

  1. Olive oil, but I also have Rice Bran, a little lighter, and also sometimes sunflower for muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a few cake recipes that use sunflower oil and give good results.

      Delete
  2. Olive oil mostly, and BIO Sunflower oil.

    Sunflowers are grown all around here for oil, and about two weeks before harvesting they are sprayed with a derivative of 'Agent Orange' to kill off the plants so that the seeds come out easily when being harvested. If you buy BIO, the oil has none of Monsanto's poison in it. Very important!

    I also have Avocado, Sesame, and Rapeseed oils, but I get through vast amounts of really good Olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Sesame - I usually have a bottle on hand - must put it on the shopping list.

      Delete
  3. Incredible variety ! I have never heard of a couple of those. We have so much good quality olive oil around d here we use that for almost everything but do fry potatoes in sunflower oil.
    Would like to try the avocado oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olive oil, mostly. However, we have a wonderful store near me that sells all kinds of infused extra virgin olive oils and Balsamic vinegars. I have bought many and enjoy them in my cooking and for dressings for salads. My favorites are those with herbs, and for chicken, I enjoy the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemon flavoured oil with chicken should be delicious.

      Delete
  5. Hemp seed oil is great. I use it as well for both cooking and drizzling over things. I'm a huge fan of avo oil as well.

    Rapeseed oil is the one I most for cooking, however. Olive oil goes over greens mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A similar range of oils as you! I can't always get an affordable hemp oil...so I use it very sparingly when I can get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hemp seed oil is expensive here as well which is why I just use a little on my porridge in the mornings.

      Delete