Tuesday, May 7, 2019

TUESDAY

I thought it was going to be a quiet day today.  Several general tasks needed to be done, the mundane sheet changing and washing, cooking a batch of food for Sophie and making some soup as well as a visit to the Osteopath in the afternoon.

Doug's eldest Grand daughter has just taken a transfer here to Whangarei and we had a message this morning that her hubby and just turned 4 daughter, Kowhai, were coming up for a couple of days and going to call in here.  It was great to catch up with them and we were able to give a  book to Kowhai that we purchased at the recent Arts Trail. 

They are staying out at the beach in a friend's bach (holiday home).  We had a cuppa and some scones, cakes and sausage rolls before heading to the beach.  Doug and I  then had some leftover lamb for lunch and headed into town. 

I have only just started adding beetroot to vegetable soup.  I use the usual vegetables, garlic, onion, kumara (sweet potatoe), carrot, buttercup squash and a beetroot with some red lentils and a little grated ginger.  To speed the process I grated the vegetables and, after cooking them in some stock I used the best tool I have ever bought - my stick mixer.  The soup ends up a lovely deep colour which varies depending on the quantities of each vegetable.  We had this for our evening meal.



I added a little cream to my bowl.

4 comments:

  1. How nice to have a surprise visitor.

    That soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great. The beetroot really added an extra dimension to the soup. Very tasty.

      Delete
  2. Soup looks and sounds great. Never thought about putting beetroot in soup. Still cool enough for soup here.
    I love the name Kowhai!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kowhai is a great name and she is a lovely. I had beetroot left over in the garden so decided to add one to the soup and am glad I did.

      Delete