Friday, June 7, 2019

WEEKLY WALK (in reverse)

This week we decided to do our circular walk in the opposite direction. 

Whereas when we walk in the other direction we go up a lot of steps to the top of Whangarei Falls going this way we decided to take the path on the other side of the Falls which goes down gently.  It starts off going under a lovely old Puriri Tree.  I took several more photos going down this path but I only had my phone with me and, obviously, moved so the other photos were quite blurred.


Anyway, we walked alongside the river and came to the Redwood Trees


and the swimming hole although it is not swimming weather at the moment (11 degrees C. right now)




                                                          Through the bush


                                                 and alongside the stream




then back along Paranui Valley Road and up the hill on Kiripaka Road.  I think we will be alternating with this walk as it is pleasant in both directions.

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Puriri tree. Reminds me of one we used to have in our school grounds. IF my memory serves me well I think it was a great attraction for the tuis.
    A wonderful place to walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it. Yes, the Tuis drink the nectar and the native Pigeons eat the berries.

      Delete
  2. Walking is always a beneficial pleasure; doesn't really matter the direction.
    Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always enjoyed walking. My late father was a walker so we grew up doing it. After all it is the natural thing for bodies to do.

      Delete
  3. Lovely final photo with a reflection, too cold here to walk either. Hail, big winds and torrential rain over the last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday we had very cold wind and occasional showers but today has been lovely and sunny.

      Delete
  4. That looks a very pleasant walk. It's always surprising to me how much different a walk can look when you reverse the direction of travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is almost like doing a completely different walk.

      Delete
  5. I must try that walk, last time we visited we didn't walk the whole way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasant walk either done along the river both ways or one way along the road.

      Delete
  6. Oh what a gorgeous walk What a beautiful country we live in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are so lucky to be able to do this walk straight from our house without driving anywhere. You and I both made a good choice in coming to New Zealand.

      Delete
  7. It looks like a very pleasant walk and one that I am sure you enjoy. I have visited Australia twice but I have never made it to New Zealand. My loss I am sure.

    ReplyDelete