Saturday, September 21, 2019

SPRING WEATHER

The weather has been great this week.  A bit on the cold side first thing but lovely sunny days to follow.  This morning was no exception and, being Saturday, we went to the market first where we were pleased to find fresh scallops back for sale.  A packet ended up in our market bag along with some local cheese, rocket and watercress.  Not a lot needed today as we are still eating the vegetables we planted in autumn although we did buy an Echium, Pride of Madeira, plant and a punnet of lettuce seedlings. 

We then went down to the Town Basin for our walks.  Doug has a slow walk with Sophie while I have a faster walk.  




After doing our supermarket shop it was home for breakfast.  I then casseroled some lamb shoulder chops before cooking half the scallops for lunch.  The rest were frozen for another day as we already had a scotch fillet roast in the fridge.  The lamb casserole will be frozen in two person lots and the frozen scallops eaten when the beef is  finished.

Yesterday, I had my final check up for my eyes and will see the optician in about a month to check on my glasses.  All good.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We are very lucky with the local produce. I like good food and enjoy cooking it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, although we have not had much of a winter up here.

      Delete
  3. I love fresh Scallops; they are v expensive here. Our weather is changing, today we have sunshine and strong winds; tomorrow we are promised rain. It'll be the first for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think scallops are my favourite seafood. Not cheap here but delicious and should be at the weekly market from now on. We have some, much needed, light rain forecast during the week.

      Delete
  4. It seems we've reached that perfect point of balance where your weather and ours are much the same, albeit heading in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you will be heading to cold while, judging from northern hemisphere weather, we will be heading to very hot and constant watering.

      Delete
  5. Warmer days here too, and your Echium, that is a beauty, those purple spikes show off so well.A friend of mine had a plant and I think it was well over 6 feet high with lots of branches, if you can call them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hopefully it will do well. Doug is keen to get another next weekend if they have them.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've had fresh scallops in years. I hope they were very tasty.

    Our autumn is what one used to call 'Indian Summers'. We've had some really lovely warm-weather days of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were delicious and we are looking forward to the second lot in the freezer.

      Weather has been perfect here and the forecast rain will be most welcome.

      Delete
  7. Echium is one of my favourite plants, I just love the big blue flower that comes up out of it. It's been so beautiful here, beach weather really.

    ReplyDelete