Thursday, June 4, 2020

KIM THE CAT

Kim has been with me for 15 years now.  She and Kath (in my header photo) were the first cats that my late husband, Max, and I chose.  They came from the SPCA.  Previously, when one cat died another one appeared.  We decided to get two to be company for each other but it didn't really work out like that.  

It was estimated that Kim was about a year old when we got her so she is 16 now and was due for her annual check up.  She was at the vets earlier in the year and 6 months before that with stomach/bowel problems and has been losing weight and become very fussy with her food, she seems happy enough.  She was checked over, given her annual injection and a tablet for worms not covered by her monthly treatment and it was suggested I try her on a special sensitivity cat food so I brought some home with me.  

We will see how she goes.  There was a suggestion that she could have an ultrasound to see if they can find the problem but she has always been a very shy cat (disappears when visitors arrive) so I would not want to put her through that.  

She has always been my cat - when I still lived in Kamo when Max was in care Doug used to come around for his evening meal and Kim was on his lap straight away (most unusual).  When I moved here when we got married Kim would not go near Doug's lap and has only recently sat on his lap on rare occasions when I have not been there.  
 
Anyway, fingers crossed that she keeps well.


13 comments:

  1. Sixteen years old is pretty good for a cat. I hope she does well on the new food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only they could talk, I, too, hope all goes well with a new diet. The saying is the same for our so loved felines as for us " Old age is not for the faint hearted". Kim, stay safe, and eat that yummy good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I don't like the idea of Cats having operations, etc. Dogs can cope with such things, but Cats not so well. When a Cat becomes old, I think it's best to just let them fade away. That's what I did with Freddie when I could see he wasn't right, and I'm very pleased that he just died at home in his sleep. I'm sure that's what he would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they are still have a good quality of life.

      Delete
  4. I think that you are wise to let her remain as she is as long as she is not suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rosemary, if she was suffering it would be different.

      Delete
  5. I have a 16 year old cat who looks like your Kath. She also has lost weight and we are concerned. She is a happy, loving cat who still likes to play and we are not ready to lose her. I hope your Kim will eat the new food as cats are such picky eaters. I guess you have to weigh what the value of an ultra sound would be or just let her live out her days till her quality of life decreases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not put her through an ultrasound it would be too distressing for her. She ended up only eating the juice in the new food. I just hope the pills help - I have 2 more to be given at monthly intervals. I hope your cat is all right.

      Delete
  6. I hope all is well for Kim. You have been a long time together. The best for tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and Kath were great company when Max went into care. He was in care for six months before I met Doug.

      Delete
  7. I think that you are wise to let her remain as she is as long as she is not suffering.
    JokerGaming
    Pussy888

    ReplyDelete