Wednesday, April 16, 2014

FENCE REPAIR and RAIN AT LAST

Last week Doug repaired a fence for me - he says he worries that I may run out of jobs for him but they keep on coming!!

Over the weekend and this week we have finally had some rain.  We were lucky on our Monday Parkinson's walk in that we just had a couple of showers.  Margaret, who organises it wasn't able to go on this walk and she always manages to get fine weather.

On Saturday we went to see The Maitreya Loving Kindness Tour.  Whangarei has an active Buddhist Temple and we were the only place in New Zealand to host this rare exhibition which has been touring the world.

I have not been walking Sophie for a while due to a bruised heel but walked her with Doug around Tikipunga Park on Sunday.  

After our Parkinson's walk on Monday we purchased tickets for the New Zealand Premiere of The Vague de Cirque later this month.  On getting home and going to write it on my calendar I was surprised to discover that it is on tomorrow night.  The month has gone so fast we thought it was next week or the week after.  Never mind,  it is off to the circus for us tomorrow.

We now have a severe weather watch as the remains of Cyclone Ita is heading our way along with another weather system.  

I must go and bring some Monarch caterpillars inside on some swan plant out of the wet.


Two photos from our Parkinson's walk from the Town Basin to Mair Park



Two more from walking Sophie at Tikipunga Park on Sunday



 The "Rose Hut" and fence snot long after I purchased in 2009 and now.  (bottom photo was into the sun hence the blur.



Some of the monarch caterpillars I brought indoors on the swan plant stems.
 

18 comments:

  1. Love the park photo with a hint of autumn in the tree at the very end. We have rain too, and green grass after so ,long looking at brown stubble. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a pretty park - mainly cricket or rugby but lovely trees near the river.

      Delete
  2. It is so nice to have a man around the house who likes to work on a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful - I think a new gate is next followed by installing my new oven.

      Delete
  3. Should there be caterpillars when Winter is coming on there? does not look like Spring at our place with more snow today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having an Indian Summer - there were very few caterpillars during summer itself due to the predator wasps but finally we have them. I think they will overwinter in some safe tree.

      Delete
  4. I was expecting Lady M to be swept away by Ita, as soon as she arrived in Oz, but all they had was rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it just hit northern Queensland rather than Central. Rain and wind here now with some gusts very strong - thought the windows were going a few minutes ago.

      Delete
  5. What a delightful river - it looks a wonderful place to stroll beside. I think I have mentioned before that Doug really is a treasure. Is your Swan plant the same as our Oleander? The Monarchs are fine looking caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky with so many lovely walks around Whangarei and yes, Doug is a gem. The Swan plant is not an oleander but Asclepias fruticosa or a larger one A. physocarpa.

      Delete
  6. You live in such a beautiful part of the world, my Grandson loved it when he visited. Kind old you taking the caterpillers in. Hope all goes well for you.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a beautiful part of the world but so is what I left behind (my parents were living in Worthing just down the road from you when I left in 1965)

      So glad I brought the caterpillars in - they are currently in my very large porch.

      Delete
  7. Stay safe from the storm Susan. Good for you bringing in those caterpillars they need all the help we can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that I have no reason to go out until tonight when the storm should have eased although I went out half an hour ago up my long drive to get the paper and it hadn't been delivered - will try again soon.

      Delete
  8. I hope you don't have too much bad weather. Keep safe.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are enjoying the rain here on teh farm - it finally arrived yesterday! Hope your plans for the circus weren't upset by the rain and wind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are getting the rain - not sure exactly where you are. I do hope they are getting it along the West Coast (surely they will be) The circus is tonight so it should have eased hopefully.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're getting some rain to keep that lovely landscape green, Susan.

    ReplyDelete