Thursday, October 23, 2014

Waipoua Forest and Kai Iwi Lakes

After the Hokianga we headed down through the Waipoua Forest and went in to see Tane Mahuta, the huge kauri tree.  There are actually workers at the base who were working on the boardwalk.  I had hoped to get them in the photo to show the size of this massive tree but they must be behind the bushes.



Walking back along the track we noticed this tree propped up with a large pole.



We then called into the Information Centre and I noticed this grove of cabbage trees (know as palm trees in Devon and Cornwall).


Then we drove to Kai Iwi Lakes.  I find it hard to believe that I have never been there before.  Below is the largest lake and it was just wonderful and would be ideal for young children.  We were the only people there apart from the caretaker although come summer it will be packed.



We also visited another of the Kai Iwi lakes.

Then it was time to head home via Dargaville.  I felt really refreshed after this trip but had not been home for long when I got a call from the Rest Home to say Max had been in a lot of pain and they finally worked out it was his elbow.  He saw the doctor and had an xray which came up negative and they had given him Morphine.  This didn't help my stress levels.  Still when I visited the next day he was just on paracetamol.  He now seems a lot better thank goodness.



10 comments:

  1. It looks like a jungle - I used to have two NZ Cordyline growing in my garden but they grew so big that they were as high as the house roof. In the end, although I like them in the right setting, I had them chopped down. They weren't really suitable for a Cotswold garden.
    I am pleased that Max's pain is now under control. It must be very difficult when he can't really share how he is feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they can grow very tall. They do look wonderful in their natural environment.

    It is really hard with Max not being able to verbalise his problems. It is one hell of a disease - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (not that I know of any enemies!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit Jurassic Park-ish, how wonderful. Sorry to hear about Max being in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The New Zealand bush can be really dense. I have only been on the outskirts of it.

      Delete
  4. Not a fun call re Max for you, it must be such a worry. I'd love to visit the might Tane one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My previous visit to Tane Mahuta was with Max on a bus tour and we went in at night. That was special.

      Unfortunately I noticed Max cough was getting worse yesterday. He was on antibiotics a few weeks back for it and it had been improving.. I mentioned it to the nurse and heard from another one when I got home this evening that he saw the G.P. today and is back on antibiotics.

      It worries me that I have to be the one to mention it and I think "what if I wasn't there to draw their attention to these things".

      Delete
  5. All your pictures are lovely but I think my favourite are the deserted lakes. Something very calming and beautiful about them. So glad that the doctors have been able to control Max's pain. Such a stressful time you're going through Sue, my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lakes are quite special. Makes me wonder why I have never been before.

      Delete
  6. Forest and lakes - what a perfect combination, Susan. Sorry to hear that Max has been in pain and hope he is better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete