Thursday, June 20, 2019

MORE PERSIMMONS, POWER COMPANY AND WATER

This morning I prepared another lot of persimmons for drying.  Persimmons are the only fruit (or veg) that I have dried and I wondered what other people use their dehydrators for and how they use the finished product.

I  put the dehydrator on just before 7 a.m. and then phoned our power company. Most things to do with any company have to be done on line nowadays.  I needed to change something and tried to log on to our power account but, as I had apparently not used it since getting married, all I could log into was the account for my previous property.  I tried all sorts of things including trying to set up a new account.  In the end I gave up and phoned the company yesterday.  After about five minutes waiting I was offered a call back which I gratefully accepted.  Unfortunately, this did not happen so I thought phoning at 7 a.m. was my best option.

I got through to a most obliging young man (at my age they are all young).  He put me on hold while he sorted it out using an alternative email address.  One problem had been that they had offered us a 15c a litre discount on petrol but we had to use Doug's card and use it on Saturday.  We did this only to discover that the card number they had was an old one .  He entered the new number and then, after hanging up emailed me to say that they have given us the discount again and we have until the end of next month to use it.  Finally some good service.

I recently posted a photo of one of our Dams with a low water level.  Yesterday I spotted an article informing us that our other Dam is at its LOWEST EVER level and we will be in serious trouble if we don't get a reasonable amount of rain over winter.  Here's hoping.  A small start today as we have had light rain on and off.

13 comments:

  1. We've got low water levels here too..a dry late winter and spring has done damage. So we can't complain too much about a wet cold summer..
    gentle rain will fill the reserves...but please let it be at night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather everywhere seems to be changing. Just cloudy here today.

      Delete
  2. So far I've used my dehydrator on apple rings, pear, mango, papaya,kiwifruit slices, pitted cherries, halved plums...experiment and enjoy! I haven't tried fruit leather, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have some spare fruit I must get more adventurous.

      Delete
  3. It always takes so much work to talk to a live person when one has a problem or a question with a utility. I have lost patience often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finally got to a real live person he was wonderful and sorted it all out for me.

      Delete
  4. There are lots of Persimmon trees around here, but they never seem to ripen the same as the shop bought (from Israel).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The may well be the "old fashioned" Astringent ones that had to be soft like jelly before they were edible.

      Delete
  5. We must've gotten your rain this year as our damn here in NE Texas is full and overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we have a little of it back please although it is drizzling at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Thinking wet thoughts for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would be great if we could have most of the rain at night.

      Delete