Thursday, July 9, 2015

A WINTER'S DAY

For various reasons I haven't been with Doug to walk Sophie (Labrador) in the park at Tikipunga for a while.  The South Island is having a cold blast with snow to low levels.  Up here it is cold for us.  I see it reached 10 degrees today although it felt a lot colder in the wind.  Still it was a lovely clear day with just one short shower in the early afternoon.

The Council does a wonderful job maintaining the parks and reserves here.  Unfortunately, people always drop litter but we pick that up as we walk and there wasn't a lot this morning.








This is my neighbour's lemon tree which hangs over to my side quite nicely.  My tree got removed when the Gleditsia was cut down recently.  Still Doug's tree is laden as well so plenty of hot  lemon and ginger drinks for the winter.



6 comments:

  1. Friends of mine grew a lemon tree indoors and they always had fruit. Our winters here don't allow us to have anything tropical outdoors all year round. You are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On our previous 5 acre property about 100 miles north of here we had a large selection of citrus trees including various varieties of mandarins, lemon and oranges. We also had several apricots as well as plums, nectarines, peaches. a block of avocados and macadamias. I do miss all the fruit but could not have managed it on my own.

      Delete
  2. Don't you have frosts? Here they tend to be grown in big, wheeled, tubs, then taken indoors for the winter. I'd love one like yours (your neighbour's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get many frosts and not severe although I see tonight is supposed to be down to zero. Not the best for early rising to go to the market. As I said Doug also has a good lemon tree must remember to take a photo.

      Delete
  3. I hate it when people drop litter willy nilly. Your neighbour's lemon tree looks good. Hope they share some of the lemons with you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My previous neighbours always said to pick the ones on my side which I still do. Lemons are plentiful here and, as I said, doug has a tree as well.

      Litter not too bad this morning.

      Delete