Monday, December 4, 2017

DAUBE CEVANOLE

 In the late 1960's on, possibly my first trip back to the U.K. after coming to New Zealand I bought Sheila Hutchins Daily Express Cook Book.  One dish I used to make was her recipe for Daube Cevanole.  I hadn't made it for years until recently and on Saturday when I came upon a shoulder of lamb in the supermarket I made it again.

On Saturday I boned and cubed the lamb and put it in a bowl with chopped garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary and basil, half a bottle of red wine and some salt and pepper and left it in the fridge overnight.  After lunch yesterday I browned some chopped streaky bacon and chopped onions, then browned the drained meat and quartered mushrooms.  I put it all in a casserole with some orange peel, chopped carrots and the liquid from the meat.  Put the lamb bones on top covered it with foil and a lid then put it in a low oven for four hours and it was delicious served with new potatoes, sweetcorn and homegrown silver beet (chard).

No photos as it looks just like any casserole (anyway, I was too busy eating it)  There is plenty in the fridge and some will be frozen for instant meals.

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lot of work but if it was as tasty as it sounds, it was worth it. It is always good to treat ourselves with something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boning was the main job - apart from that it was just browning and putting in the casserole.

      Delete
  2. Sheila Hutchens; there's a name from the past! That is exactly how I make both my Coq au vin, and Boeuf Bourguignon. I've never tried it with Lamb. I must do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious - I think it is the orange peel that gives it that extra lift.

      Delete
    2. Haven't tried the orange peel with beef - have just bought some flat iron steak so will try it.

      Delete
    3. I made a Boeuf B last weekend, and put in a halved Clementine.

      Delete
    4. In the end I have made a plain casserole with lots of vegies (onion, kumara and carrot) and some red wine with the flat iron steak. Cooking right now.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of it but it sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete