Saturday, October 26, 2019

THE GARDEN IN SPRING

Over the past couple of weeks we have had variable weather.  At times it has been sunny and very pleasant but often it has been strong winds and heavy showers with hail at times.  I still put in my seedling order and we have been busy planting them out.  We also buy smaller quantities of seedlings at our Growers' Market.

The echium we planted a few weeks ago is growing well as are the daisies.  Can't think of their "proper names" at present


This Leucospermum was a birthday present for Doug last month from his eldest daughter and is just coming into flower.


This lovely poppy must be from seeds from Jean whose blog name evades me at present.  I have just managed to delete all the blogs I follow.  I was adding a new one when I realised I had inserted one I was already following and when I went to delete that one I managed to delete the lot.  I did this some time back although a different way and was still collecting the missing blogs - now I must start again.  Too much still to do tonight so it will be over a lengthy period once again.



Alstroemeria, and foxgloves coming into flower.  Doug has just pruned the geraniums in this bed back quite hard.


A pot of blue pansies that is still hanging in there and will be replaced by newly potted petunias when they are large enough



the newly potted petunias




the last of the winter vegies mainly Swiss chard and beetroot although there are also some leeks left.



Recently planted tomatoes - two of each Black Krim, Russian Red and a new one.  The pink pot is because one was snapped off in the wind.  Behind are some dwarf beans.  We also have scarlet runners just emerging.




This is the lovely cyclamen that Gwynneth and the Pirate from ook?! blog gave us when they visited.  It died down and was put outside and has just come back into bloom.  Lovely colour and lovely frilly flowers.  Thank you.



Today I have pricked out a large quantity of beetroot seedlings.  It is a long weekend here and, luckily has turned out fine with not too much wind.


So that is what is happening in our garden at present.  I also planted out two bundles of the Echium Cottage charm which we had last year and were very pleased with.

13 comments:

  1. You've been busy! I look forward to seeing more flowers to get us through the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy seeing the summer flowers etc during our winters.

      Delete
  2. A lot of work but so worth it. Your flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of your Spring flowers - Blogger is always presenting us with trials and tribulations. Good luck with finding your deleted blogs again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will just get them gradually as people comment here.

      Delete
  4. garden busy indeed! The geraniums will return even stronger.
    Talking of returning, we hope to be returning to NZ in just under 4 weeks time.....PANIC!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do like to be cut back. As they flower all year round I always have trouble cutting them back. You know where we are now if you are up this way.

      Delete
  5. We were given a Cyclamen about 20 years ago, by a friend. It's still going strong despite having only been re-potted once. A miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your flowers and vegie garden are amazing. Thanks for the name of the Leucospermum I saw that today in red but the growers told me that Christchurch would be too cold for it to grow. Such a beautiful flower

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh and they called it waratah Might be the Maori name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to this post for our Waratahs https://kamolady.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-south-wales-waratahs-and-eyes.html

      They are both beautiful flowers.

      Delete