Tuesday, January 31, 2023

CIVIL DEFENCE EMERGENCY

 When will it end. We now have a Red Heavy Rain Warning which is the highest level.   We also have  a severe thunderstorm watch  and strong wind watch.  

On top of that Civil Defence has just declared a State of Emergency as a precaution so they are, obviously, expecting things to be bad.  We had two appointments across town and the rain was heavy as we returned but has lessened now.  I suppose it will get bad as it starts to get dark as storms always seem worse at night.

We have rain in some form forecast for the next seven days .  Amazingly my tomatoes and the rest of the garden is still producing.  Fingers crossed that it survives this onslaught.

Before the last storm I picked these roses as I knew they would not survive the storm.  The scent is wonderful.




10 comments:

  1. Hopefully nothing too much will come of this new lot of stormy weather. Stay safe, both of you, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes we hope it is a false alarm. Enough damage already.

      Delete
  2. Hoping all stay safe.
    We are thinking of not going too far north if atall...no point going where services are already stressed and roads damaged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good to catch up but I don't blame you. I gather slips and flooding on the roads are causing the problems.

      Delete
  3. Batten down the hatches! The worst bit is the wind, we always fear for our roof tiles. I hope all is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the roof tiles are o.k. There are no big trees near. The wind and rain are increasing now.

      Delete
  4. I saw that there's more rain forecast.
    What a summer!
    The roses are beautiful. You and Doug are great gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely rose. A cutting from one in my Kamo garden. Fingers crossed that everyone is being over cautious.

      Delete
  5. I've had my fingers crossed that you guys would be ok there, I have a friend in Maungaturoto and she said the Brynderwyns were completely cuf off. We've just had mainly drizzle here but rain due for the next week, other than that it's been roasting hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made the move at the right time. Luckily for us it wasn't as bad as forecast. Coromandel and Auckland seemed to be worse off once again. I would rather the powers that be were extra cautious.

      Delete