Tuesday, January 3, 2023

VEGETABLE GARDEN

Our vegetable garden has been doing well this year.  I dug the rest of the Cliff's Kidney potatoes and they are stored away.  I have also dug most of the main crop (Agria my favourite potato) and stored them this morning.  We still have a further 4 plants to dig.  The potatoes  have been very large. Below are some of the Cliff's Kidney.  I washed them and left them to dry before storing.  I didn't wash the Agria.




Apart from the potatoes, we have been harvesting courgettes, beans, lettuce, spring onions, cucumbers and have just started to harvest tomatoes.  We have now finished our homegrown carrots and, when I have harvested the last of the potatoes we will sow some more.


                                                                       Below Bush Tomato.  









I grew two new varieties of tomato from seed this year one was just called Bush Tomato and I should have spaced them further apart.  They have just started to set fruit.  The other one was called Riesentraube and that is also just setting.  The tomatoes I have started picking are Oxheart and they have had funny little green "tails" on them.  They have traces of copper on them as Doug sprayed them because of the humid weather we have had.


Weather all set to change though.  I hope all the plants survive.



So it looks like a few mainly indoor days.  I roasted a leg of lamb today so plenty of left-overs.  My favourites.

I notice there is not a lot of difference between the day and night temperatures so we could be in for some humid nights

12 comments:

  1. Our weather forecast for the next few days is not looking too bright either. I hope your garden survives through all that rain and wind (I've put extra ties around my tomatoes, just in case).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some extra tying up as well and just picked the beans in case it is too nasty tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. A beautifully productive garden ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Even though it is a lot of work I would hate to have to give up my garden.

      Delete
  4. You have a very lush garden. Can't believe there's more rain coming. Hope everything survives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has just started to get heavy. Fingers crossed that everything survives.

      Delete
  5. The garden produce looks wonderful: the weather forecast not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would get the wind in particular just as everything is doing so well.

      Delete
  6. We have had 4 ripe tomatoes, the vines are loaded, have beans, courgettes, lettuce, carrots, beetroot, and waiting for the rain on Thursday so I can plant things out in the flower gardens. Already it seems to be a little darker in the mornings, but we too have had really hot days.Those bush plants look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered afterwards that the bush tomatoes need 1 - 2 metres. They are very sturdy plants. I have just read that this rain is going to be for the next TEN DAYS. Hope it is better down there. Your garden sounds very productive as well. All the best for 2023.

      Delete