Friday, March 22, 2024

BACK AGAIN.

We have had a good summer, not like the storms and continual rain of last year.  Our tomatoes have been exceptional and we are still picking them.  I also sowed some late beans and will be picking the first of these today.  Not sure how they will go as it was an experiment planting so late.  Kumara (sweet potatoe) are still in the ground as they like a long growing season.  I have also started winter planting with broccolli and silver beet (Swiss chard)

We still have daylight savings ( it doesn't end till 7th April) and dawn is not until 7.30 a.m. so I am not rising as early as I would like - can't do much in the garden when it is still dark.  (I am not a fan of daylight savings as I prefer to rise early and get jobs done and am usually getting tired by the end of the day).

The weather has been good for the Parkinson walks and our small group has grown over recent months.  17 people on a recent walk.

Spring and autumn are my favourite seasons and, at present we have daytime highs of 23 or 24C with about 15C at night.  All very pleasant.

My stepson came up from Auckland to stay last week and we managed some nice walks. (His photos).









8 comments:

  1. Hugh is getting our vege beds ready for planting now, the sweet corn has done its dash, the tomatoes almost done, peppers still ripening, but the colder mornings will finish the strawberries very soon. The walk looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you. We got our sweet corn from the Growers' Market although over summer we didn't need to go there. As the tomatoes finish I am clearing them and preparing for winter veg. It is a lovely walk.

      Delete
  2. Nice walking through dappled shade on a warm day.
    I resumed a Kumera plant from a garden centre...on sale as it was half dead! If course here we didn't get anything to eat from it, but it gave a good amount of greenery!
    Our clocks change a week before yours...so we will be on the same number for a week...and then remember not to phone too early after that!
    I have started getting up earlier to adjust before the clocks actually change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only discovered this year that kumara leaves are edible and used like spinach. (Haven't tried them yet). The changing of the clocks always throws me and it takes about a week to adjust. I wish they would keep to the same time all year.

      Delete
  3. They really are lovely photographs of a beautiful walk.
    Like you, I am an early morning person and can get lots done, if I start early with my energy burst.
    Your weather right now sounds just about perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my perfect weather although this morning we have rain, we need it though. Yes, I start early and can usually keep going till about 3 p.m. then need a nanna nap.

      Delete
  4. The photos are lovely so I can imagine how much you enjoyed the walk.
    Ahh kumara. At least we do have sweet potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had sweet potato as opposed to kumara but assume they are similar.

      Delete