Tuesday, February 19, 2019

ABBEY CAVES AND WEATHER.

Yesterday  the Parkinson walk was at Abbey Caves.  It was a lovely walk although it got a bit hot towards the end.   We didn't go in the actual caves but just walked around the perimeter.  This lovely lady met us at the start of the walk.  There are some lovely rock formations.





and near the end of the walk some Llamas grazing happily.





The weather forecasters are unsure whether Tropical Cyclone Oma which has just battered Vanuatu is going to head down to us or to Australia.  In any case we have rain predicted from tomorrow getting heavier at the weekend.  This morning we picked a lot of our peaches as we don't want to lose them to the weather.   Luckily, with the Golden Queen type peaches they can be picked early and will ripen.  


This is a very small portion of what we have picked today.  They should ripen over the next few days and I will stew them and then freeze.  

Tonight we are going to a Defensive Driving Course.  Doug asked about it at AA and was told that it was only for young drivers about to sit their licences and was referred for a Seniors Refresher Drive with an instructor.  Just before the date the Instructor phoned to cancel as he was unwell.  When Doug mentioned that what he really wanted was the Defensive Driving Course he was told there was no reason that he could not take it.  It is 2 hours tonight and Thursday and Tuesday and Thursday next week followed by a driving test.  The instructor suggested that I could join in as well just for the course which suits me fine.  I just hope that I can cope with sitting for 2 hours at a time.


16 comments:

  1. I bottled my Peach glut last year, in an Armagnac flavoured syrup. They are very good with a big dollop of thick cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mine on my daily morning porridge so just plain - I do add a very small amount of raw sugar.

      Delete
  2. We are expecting the cyclone to hit later this week for us, hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had several showers today, Friday, so I hope it is soaking into the soil. Cyclone Oma is going to Australia.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of these caves. Looks like a beautiful nature walk.
    Hope the cyclone misses you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are well known out of Whangarei.

      Delete
  4. Those stones are extraordinary - they remind me of the bones of some creature from antiquity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they. Funnily, Moa bones were discovered at the entrance to one of the caves last month and a whole Moa skeleton was found on a neighbouring property in 2013.

      Delete
  5. The cow's look is angry, as you've been interrupting her:)
    Caves are an intriguing sight, not for the individual walker, but with a group they could be entered and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cow could easily have walked away if she was upset. We did not enter the caves just enjoyed the walk around their perimeter.

      Delete
  6. Those are a lot of peaches and it is good that you like to screw them for later on. I have never tried that.

    That is an excellent idea to take a driving course. I could do with that myself since I no longer do all the driving that I did when I worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason it has taken so long for me to reply to comments is that I have been busy processing the peaches and tomatoes ready to freeze. There was also homework for the Driving Course.

      Delete
  7. Yes, the rock formations are stunning. The name 'Oma' (German for 'granny') makes me smile. Hopefully, the cyclone won't be too destructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cyclone is headed to Australia instead of here and is still stalled. There is another cyclone forming and we are forecast for the weather to be bad on Sunday.

      Delete