Saturday, February 2, 2019

GARAGE SALE

We have had a great day today.  We had a Garage Sale.  I don't know what they are called in other countries.  We have a spare room which has been used to store the excess "stuff" that I brought with me, on top of this Doug had a lot stored in a couple of sheds on the property. 

I have a friend coming to stay in the next couple of months and we need to make the spare room into a bedroom so things needed to be sorted and disposed of.  We have been talking about it for a while so last weekend took the bull by the horns and placed an advertisement for today's Garage Sale which meant we had to get on with it and get things sorted.

We have had a busy week deciding what is to go and setting tables up on the back porch and then pricing everything.  The start time was 7 a.m. but, of course, people started arriving just after 6 a.m.  We were quite surprised as items we thought we would be lucky to sell sold straight away and some items we thought would go quickly did not sell.  Not much remained when the last customer left at about 1 p.m.  We now have some cash instead of items we did not use and also met some lovely people, some of them near neighbours.  

A few of the items for sale.







There were two boxes of material lengths that we expected interest in but none sold.

19 comments:

  1. It looks like a successful garage sale. It's a good feeling to clear some unwanted stuff, and get some money too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good day. We are quite exhausted today as there was a lot of work getting everything ready and then a busy day yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Called Garage Sales here in the UK also. We should have one....one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to have cleared out so much "STUFF"

      Delete
  3. Well done with your garage sale. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Molly, putting the advertisement in the newspaper first meant we had to get sorting.

      Delete
  4. I actually have some of the glass vases & decorative dishes that you sold at the garage sale. -great that you had a successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh I'm eyeing up some of the vintage glass in the 2nd photo, did the blue tall thing sell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone visiting the house recently told me that my air rifle was now illegal in France. I shall keep it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could have had a snuffle around! We had a garage sale when my parents last moved and it was fun. All the leftovers went to a charity shop.
    Nice to hear you made some extra cash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took the leftovers to the S.P.C.A charity shop today as well as dog bedding to the S.P.C.A itself for their dogs.

      Delete
  8. Good to hear that most things went. We have passed a few garage sales here, I mustn't look!! I wish it was more a thing back in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what they do with their "spare stuff" in Scotland.

      Delete
  9. I'd say your sale was successful if you had just that little left. People arriving early was always a problem when we had sales long ago. It's not really fair to the ones who respect your time period, but then you hate to miss a chance to make a sale...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my!! If I were close by, I’d be buying those Blue Willow plates! Love them...and I use them in my kitchen.
    Hello from Texas! Nice blog!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete