Wednesday, February 13, 2019

HOT AGAIN

Today's official temperature was 29 although they are taken at the airport which is always cooler than in town.  On our deck this afternoon it was in the late 30's.  It has been hot all week and the forecast only goes down to 25 on Saturday.  It means watering every day.  Light rain is forecast next week but then it was forecast this week as well.  We had the odd drizzle shower but not enough to do any good.

Today I did manage to get some weeding and dead heading done as well as removing the cucumbers - next in line is the removal of the courgettes as they have virtually stopped fruiting.  The tomatoes are loving the weather and are cropping really well and the beans are, once again, providing sufficient for our needs.  The beetroot have been good and I came across a recipe where they are peeled and diced then mixed with olive oil, ground cumin and ground coriander then cooked in a covered tin in the oven for 30 minutes.  We have been eating them both hot and cold.  We have finally emptied the spare room and Doug has just painted the ceiling.

These photos were taken just before it was completely emptied.  The large shelves had already been moved to an outside shed.




10 comments:

  1. Still hot here, about 26 in the shade, and 32 at Rotorua. All I can say is I hope winter will be cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a cool snap only a week ago and I thought winter had arrived but it didn't last long.

      Delete
  2. Hot here in Whanganui..27 supposedly..but I'm not sure where they measure it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is harder and harder for me to deal with extreme weather. The heat really bothers me but I am happier in the summer because I have a garden.

    What are you going to do with the spare room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you have more trees than us as I can only garden early morning or in the evening. The room is to be a spare bedroom as I have a friend coming to stay.

      Delete
  4. Being in the USA, it took me a minute to realize you weren't joking about 26 being hot! We've been down to 26 F recently since we are in winter still and are chilled to the bone. What a difference a change in locale makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago a friend north of Toronto mentioned it was cold and her temperature was 20 degrees - then I noticed the MINUS before the 20 . We do not get temperatures like that.

      Delete
  5. Ah, beetroot is a marvelous veg. Your recipe sounds right up my alley. May you be enduring the heat as well as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beetroot recipe is nice and easy (I use the thin gloves to peel and slice the beetroot). It was hotter today (officially 31 and did hit 40 in our back porch/deck).

    ReplyDelete