Wednesday, June 27, 2018

WILD PORK

First thing yesterday morning Doug cut one of the pork legs in half and we left half out to thaw.  Cold enough to do that at present.

This morning I woke at 6 a.m. so got up and lit the fire then heated the oven to its top temperature (250 degrees) and prepared the pork.  I had a base of red onions, garlic, kumara and thick slices of apple.  The pork was put on this and some rosemary placed on top with salt and pepper.  I then poured a bottle of  Buderim Ginger Beer on it, covered the meat with some butter paper then the lid on my roasting dish and it went in the oven. I turned the temperature down to 150 degrees,

At about 10.30 a.m. we looked at it and added some more ginger beer.  We ate it at midday with some mashed potatoe, kumara and butterkin squash and some kale from the garden.  It was delicious.  It is some time since I have had roast pork and I am looking forward to much more as there are several more legs and forequarters in the freezer plus the shank end of the one we had today.  There are also plenty of leftovers.

Life is good.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I shall have to 'acquire' some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious - I just tried to check in the freezer - I think we were given 4 x legs and 4 x forequarters. We will have plenty of meat for a while.

      Delete
  2. I will pass on your method to the family down south as I am sure they get wild pork from time to time. A super recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I will add some water or stock as the ginger Beer evaporated even with a lid.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you and Doug will be enjoying pork meat for quite a while. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a real change. We rarely eat pork. (Just occasionally some free range.)

      Delete