Friday, June 29, 2018

A BUSY DAY (well they all are really)

We both had some books due back at the library so I decided to walk there and get some beef bones for soup on the way back.  It was a lovely walk (took me 45 minutes including going to the butcher and the supermarket). 

When I got home it was time to make the stir fried rice for lunch (the recipe I base this roughly on is labelled Nasi Goreng but I doubt it is much like the real dish.  Anyway, my version with pork was delicious. 

Doug had been working on the new sunroom while I went to the library and after lunch the electricians arrived.  They are so busy these days that it took three weeks for them to be able to come.  They were very obliging and with Doug working alongside them putting the wallboard up they got the job finished.  We had thought they may have to come back to finish as the first part of the job had to be done before the wallboard went up. 

I did a bit of work in the garden this morning and, after doing the lunch dishes got back to the job.  When Doug moved here  10 years ago he planted some climbers and they and a self sown grape have got a bit out of control so I am cutting them back.  It was a great day to be outside working. 

I had a little bit of pork left after lunch so I took it off the bone and cut it up.  I had a good friend, Isabel, who sadly died a couple of years ago.  Her husband spent a period as a lighthouse keeper.  They had two young sons and it would have been hard coping with infrequent drops of food, mail etc.  She gave me a recipe with the not very interesting name of rice fritters and said her boys loved them.  I decided to make these using the leftover rice and adding the leftover pork. 

I beat an egg with a little milk.  Added the rice and pork cut quite small.  I then added self-raising flour, seasoning, grated cheese and some small cubes of feta.  I put spoonfuls into a greased pan and cooked them until done.  They were delicious with some plum sauce. 

We did well from the smaller half of the leg of wild pork.


10 comments:

  1. and I am sure there were thoughts of Isabel as you had that yummy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anything with 'fritter' in the title would be very tasty, indeed! Also, it's lovely to be reminded of someone dearly departed through the making of meals.

    Glad things are going well with the sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is going well on all counts at present.

      Delete
  3. How many meals in all? Sounds like a good deal. We usually make a leg of Lamb last quite well, and a Christmas Turkey sees us through till March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was half a leg (the smaller half) and did us four meals (8 good sized serves plus titbits for Sophie).

      Delete
  4. I love to hear of how to make use of leftovers and your fritters were one I'd never heard of. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Isabel gave me the recipe with just rice I was sceptical but they are good just with the rice and cheese. Plum or tomato sauce is good with them.

      Delete
  5. pork is so versatile, I mostly use it for soups or roasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also make a pork casserole and may try this with a forequarter.

      Delete