Friday, November 2, 2018

WIND

Yesterday the wind was particularly strong and cold.  It is just as well that the painting being done is inside.  Doug and I couldn't do any outside jobs.  When the painter left in the afternoon we went to buy some more paint and, as we drove away, we noticed that the Protea in the front garden had been blown over.  





It was not actually broken so I trimmed it back a lot and Doug and I lifted it up and tied it well to the stake that was there.  We will just have to wait and see whether it lives or not.  I did end up with a lovely vase of flowers.


On Wednesday I ordered some seedlings from Awapuni who send their plants wrapped in bundles - each bundle having between four and 9 seedlings. 

This is what I ordered,

Coreopsis - Amulet
COREAMU
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Cornflower - Dwarf Mixed
CORNFLO
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Echium - Cottage Charm
ECHIUM
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Lavender - Munstead
LAVMUNST
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Lupin - Gallery Mixed
LUPMIX
1x 4 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Petunia - Duo Burgundy
PETDB
2x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$5.00
Petunia - Mini Picobella Rose
PETMINRO
2x 4 Seedlings/bundle
$5.00
Zinnia - Tall
ZINTAL
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
French Mesclun
LETMESCF
1x 9 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
Lupin - Blue
LUPBL
1x 4 Seedlings/bundle
$4.99
They arrived this morning and we have started to plant some out.



2 or three bundles have now been planted and the rest are in water ready for tomorrow as the wind is still quite strong and we are going out later.


15 comments:

  1. The 'French mesclun' sounds familiar. I buy packs of mixed salad leaf seeds under that name. Useful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on the list and thought it would add something to the lettuces I have in the garden.

      Delete
  2. Boy you had some strong wind. I hope the protea survives, its a beautiful shrub/flower.
    You're going to have a colourful summer garden. The list reminds me so much of nz. We used to go for drives with my parents looking at peoples gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope it survives. We have been busy planting today and will do more tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Hoping your protea lives to fight yet another day - it looked as if it was a lovely plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it had got a bit "top heavy" but they tend to. I hope it will be o.k.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I do hope that the protea comes back.

    I really like you flower choices. I use most of those myself. Coneflowers are a favorite and they are now coming in so many more colors and make a beautiful display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will look good together. Just hope we don't have a drought.

      Delete
  5. Seeing the positive is always good. Nice jug of flowers. :)
    I especially like lupin. They have a sort of Dr. Suess-like quality to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all the foxgloves coming up that gave me the idea of lupin - another tall flower. Yes, the jug of flowers is a bonus.

      Delete
  6. I wonder how Proteas grow in SA? It does look a little top heavy compared to its trunks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know but they may be more straggly there. I have always cut this back after flowering to stop it getting too tall.

      Delete
  7. oh poor Protea, they don't like being disturbed but they are hardly plants so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the wind damage. Hope the Protea makes it!!!

    Actually, I have never before, seen a Protea.

    ✨🍂✨🍁✨🔥✨🍁✨🍂✨

    ReplyDelete