Wednesday, February 9, 2022

IT'S BEEN A WHILE

 I see it has been just over a month since I last posted.  We have had some lovely weather (late 20"s Centigrade) but have had to water every day to keep things alive.  

The garden has done well.  I cut down on tomato plants this year and put in 2 x Beefsteak, 1 x Russian Red and 2 x Scoresby Dwarf and we have had lots of tomatoes from them with more to come.  Later on I sowed some tomatoes from Yates Seeds just called Big Red and planted 4 of them and one offshoot from a Russian Red and they are just starting to ripen.  We have eaten plenty, I have frozen a lot ready for winter casseroles and given a lot away.

As well as this the three capsicum plants have been producing, 1 x red, 1 x yellow and 1 x orange.  These have been roasted with aubergine, courgettes, garlic, and onions.  

I planted both apple and Lebanese cucumbers and had a few of the Lebanese but lots of the apple ones which are Doug's favourites.  The beans have produced well and are still continuing to produce.  

The weather changed last week and we had some much needed rain and it has been great not having to water.  The only downside is that we now have high humidity so it feels as though one is living in a sauna.  According to the radio this morning the weather has come straight from New Caledonia hence the humidity.

We have been to some beaches and also done some walks in the bush but most of the time has been busy gardening and processing the produce.  (My happy place).

Omicron has now got through the border and is spreading, luckily, not as fast as predicted, but we are trying to stay away from crowds.  

For our Parkinson walks we now take our refreshments with us and have them on the walk rather than going to a cafe and this is working well.

Some photos from a trip to some beaches








We did a new walk which is alongside a forest being felled but the part where we walked had some lovely old trees.




and an ideal swimming hole.

Monday's Parkinson walk alongside the river where the river was flowing strongly after the rain.





A new leaf on a Phoenix Palm





11 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I haven't posted much lately, but not, alas, because of 20+ temperatures or because I've been watering plants! Our walks, when we've been allowed to take them, have also been powered by packed lunches and drinks - have only had one pub lunch in the last 2 years. Great pictures you've shown us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had thought restrictions were stopped there a while ago.from reading various blogs.

      Delete
  2. You've been constructively busy!
    You are making me look forward to our garden season..time to clean out the greenhouse and start sowing.

    We have started walking more, as it hasn't been good cycling weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I am thinking of autumn planting you are getting ready for spring and summer

      Delete
  3. How are you doing with the humidity? It's been pretty unbearable up here, I think it got to 100% the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cope well with it but it was better today.

      Delete
  4. I believe I wrote that I find it nice you're still able to take the Parkinson walks. And I also was sort marveling at how both my area and yours are the same temperature. Of course, Feb. here should not be 20-23C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* I see a boo-boo, but will not delete!

      Delete
    2. That does sound warm for winter. Today we are 28 feels like 30 according to phone. Minimum tonight 23.

      Delete