Monday, February 14, 2022

SAD NEWS AND SOME TREES FROM TODAY'S WALK

 We had our Parkinson walk this morning around the Museum Grounds and also visited the Bird Recovery Centre on the same Grounds.  Sadly, when I asked how the White-Tailed Tropic Bird was doing I was told it had not survived.  

In spite of this we had a lovely walk.  At the weekend the country was hit by ex cyclone Dovi and there has been a lot of damage, mainly trees down, flooding and loss of power.  We had very little damage but with the new weather system the hot muggy days have gone and we are back to very pleasant weather - 24° C and a nice sunny day and it was pleasant and cool last night.

Anyway, we walked around the grounds and then had our refreshments at a picnic table.  Doug and I then went to pick up a book I had requested at the Library before going to Fish to Fish where we bought 6 fillets of flounder and 6 fillets of Gurnard plus some smoked mussels.

Back home, after lunch I froze most of the fish leaving out a couple of fillets for tomorrow's lunch and then prepared, cooked and froze some peaches.  The muggy weather has not been kind to the peaches but I got quite a good pot full.  They are a lot bigger this year, more like a Golden Queen.

Here are some photos of the lovely trees and a Kereru or pigeon.  It will be recovering from an injury.  There was a Tui in the cage alongside it but I could not get a photo of it as it was in the dark.  The cages are large enough for the birds to fly.







4 comments:

  1. I think we got off pretty lightly here with the cyclone. The fire siren went off a few times though which I'm assuming was probably branches on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think trees across roads were the main problem and the Far North still has a lot of homes without power.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good walk, sorry to hear about the bird. Hope all the trees come back ok, I love trees and hate to see them destroyed by storms. Hopefully those without power won't be too long.

    ReplyDelete