Wednesday, October 25, 2023

LETTUCE

At the Market on Saturday I bought a punnet of red and green Buttercrunch lettuce (only 5) and a fortnight before a punnet of Red Sails lettuce.  I have planted them out and they are sitting on the potting table Doug made for me out of an old door.  

They are doing really well and we have already had 3 feeds from the Red Sails.  I was worried about the hot afternoon sun on them so, at the weekend, Doug made a shade cover for them.  Hopefully, we will have a constant lettuce supply over summer.



8 comments:

  1. It's pure joy to read your summer journey starting, just as ours has finished, our garden has almost closed down, just a few hardy things , mainly flowers survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. I always enjoy seeing the opposite seasons as well. I just had a quick look at your blog and see you also like growing veg as well as flowers. I will get back to your blog later .

      Delete
  2. That's a good idea..I will try that in my greenhouse. I wonder if I could do it now in our autumn/winter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pick-and-come-again varieties of lettuce can keep going for ages - a great little investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have already finished the first lot. I was surprised how quickly we were able to pick from this latest lot from a different stall.

      Delete
  4. We are eating ours too. Nothing like home grown.

    ReplyDelete