Sunday, July 21, 2024

CORNED BEEF

After deciding to go with the butcher's recommendation for slow roasting the corned beef I googled recipes to check on timing for my joint and found a recipe on Australia's Best Recipes website which used wholegrain mustard, marmalade, lemon juice and garlic.  I nearly used that but decided to try the butcher's recipe first.

This morning when talking to my stepdaughter in New South Wales she mentioned that the marmalade recipe is the one she uses and wouldn't go back so I may try that next time.

In the meantime, I portioned the beef casserole that I made yesterday and sliced my gluten free loaf  freezing them both. The containers that Medjool dates come in are just enough for the two of us as we are not big meat eaters.




I roasted the corned beef for 4 hours which was perfect, plenty left over for the rest of the week.





 

The meal doesn't look very exciting with the pale green but the beef with potato, kumara and pumpkin mash, glazed cabbage and leeks in white sauce was delicious.


15 comments:

  1. I've not tried slow-roasting corned beef but your results look great. The idea of cooking marmalade with it sounds intriguing and quite yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe with marmalade is on Australia's Best Recipes website

      Delete
  2. The only corned beef I've ever had came from a tin, and I quite liked it. Yours looks far more appealing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incorrect, mother used to boil it with carrots and onions.

      Delete
    2. I don't remember. It sounds good.

      Delete
  3. It all looks delicious - I had to look up kumara, but see that it is sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely preferred it slow roasted rather than boiled.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Same again tomorrow then lots more to try other ways.

      Delete
  5. Oh, lovely! I do love a good corned beef. We've the same date containers here and they are a handy size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are excellent containers. The dates are good as well.

      Delete
  6. That's one good thing about winter, you can do casseroles galore. It's good to freeze them. My recipe for corn beef is to cover the meat just enough with water, add brown sugar, a sliced up apple and golden syrup, seems to make it succulent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about using an apple but was so pleased with this that I will stick to slow roasting.

      Delete