Saturday, July 20, 2024

PRODUCTIVE DAY



As usual, our Saturday started with the Growers' Market.  We didn't get much, just persimmons and eggs.  The eggs were the main reason for going as the eggs being sold there now are delicious with lovely dark yolks.  (This reminds me of taking some of our own eggs down to our daughter-in-law about 30 or 40 years ago.  She went to use them and asked me if they were o.k. to eat as they had such dark yolks and she was used to supermarket eggs.  I must say the supermarket ones have improved since then.

After the market and supermarket we came home for breakfast and, as the forecast was not suitable for washing to dry, I got baking.  First up was a gluten free white loaf then an almond and pear cake followed by some chocolate chip biscuits.

Doug is the washer upper so I then had a short break while he washed the dishes then I got a beef casserole ready to go in the oven.  I then cooked our lunch (a bit late as usual) sausages and mash with creamed leeks.

After lunch I got a white loaf into the bread maker for Doug. That is enough for today.  Tomorrow I am going to slow roast a corned silverside in the oven as recommended by the butcher, a first for me.









6 comments:

  1. I have done corn silverside in the slow cooker, so easy, add golden syrup cloves, carrots and other veges, and leave it to work magic.I did a big batch of choc chip cookies for a friend, with grandies in the holidays thought they would be treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually cook it like that but the butcher was adamant that slow roasting is the way to go so I will give it a go. My choc chip cookies are a treat for Doug.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a productive day.
    I used to love doing an early market visit..nothing like that near here though

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were a bit later this morning and got to the Market just before 8 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious. A good days work. A bit of corned silverside would be nice. Theyve never heard of it here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long time since I've had it but a friend in Auckland was cooking it last weekend so we decided to have some. Looking forward to it.

      Delete