Sunday, October 13, 2024

WHANGAREI MARITIME FESTIVAL

Whangarei Harbour is used by Mariners from all over the world to overwinter, shelter from hurricanes and have maintenance done.  A group of them formed The Black Ball Yacht Club and they organize the Maritime Festival.  This is its second year but the first time we have attended.

 

                                                      The R. Tucker Thompson is a training ship


 Below one of several small steam boats is sailing past with passengers


An excellent group singing sea shanties

Some of the crowds

There were a lot of dogs all on leads and very well behaved






A former Auckland Pilot boat











Some more small steam ships





9 comments:

  1. Nice to see a whole range of different craft there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really interesting. Hope you are not too battered from your "trip".

      Delete
  2. What a grand event, the pilot boat, I wonder how many years ago it was in use, my cousin was a chief tug master for the Ports of Auckland years ago. And a piper. Memories for me and Scotland, where my Mum was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was called the Akarana and I have just sent you a couple of comments I found when I googled her. She was a pilot vessel from 1961 to 1994. I love hearing the bagpipes.

      Delete
  3. No doubt it was a very popular event, makes me want to live in Northland again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to own a small steam boat, and I'd also love to own that beautiful white two-master ketch; although I wouldn't have a clue how to sail it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of lovely boats. A good friend of ours used to have an old lifeboat that he converted to steam and Max used to work on it and go out with him.

      Delete
  5. Looks fun, we are very close to the coast, so there are sailing clubs and boats everywhere, including a posh marina with some nice larger boats.

    ReplyDelete