Sunday, March 13, 2022

KINDNESS

The Jehovah Witnesses have stopped their door knocking because of Covid and are now sending out handwritten letters instead.  We have received several mainly from young people.  We received another this week and Doug, being kind, decided to phone the lady who had sent it as she had put her number at the end of the beautifully written letter.

It turned out she was not young but was 77 years old and lives very close to here.  She told Doug that she had sent over 600 such letters and not had a reply so prayed to Jehovah and then received one of the letters back in the mail although it was unopened and had abusive messages on it.  She prayed once again and then received the call from Doug that made her day.

They ended up talking for nearly an hour and she has actually called on us and, once the peak of Omicrom is over will visit us again.

Before I met him Doug had got to know a lovely Jehovah family and the mother actually did a reading at our wedding.  We often comment on what lovely children they have raised.

8 comments:

  1. A woman from the Jehovah's Witnesses called at my mother's door on a day when she was having a really bad time, shortly after my dad's death. She stayed with Mum for several hours and phoned her over the next week to check on her. I never learned who she was but I appreciate her help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people rant about them but we have found them very kind. Doug was returning that kindness.

      Delete
  2. We never see them here, I dont think I've ever met one strangely enough, use to get them a bit in Mangawhai though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me. We used to get them when we lived north of Kaitaia. They even came up our very long drive.

      Delete
  3. We used to be plagued with them coming really frequently. Think the neighborhood must have complained as we don't see them often now. But, years ago it wasn't uncommon to have multiple knocks on the door in the same week. That was really annoying. But, before that there was one particular lady who would stop and talk to me while I was doing yard work. I always found her to be very sweet and have often wondered what happened to her. I worked with several before I retired. As there were 3 of them it made it hard for the rest of us to talk about birthday parties and family Christmas gatherings because they were so against it. They sadly, really dampened the Christmas spirit in the office because of their comments. Like in all walks of life, they are people who are kind, and those who are not. Learning more about them from those I worked with and was very taken back by some of their rules about not voting, not wanting women to be educated, and preferring women don't work full time. I was bothered by much of what I learned.
    Sandy's Space I didn't know they stopped doing the door to door thing during Covid, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they don't celebrate birthdays but was surprised about women not being educated. Our friends who are JWs have a daughter who is well educated and plans a career.

      Delete
  4. Kindness is becoming rare in our world and yet it means so much, so good on Doug for making contact with the lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really appreciated it. Like us, she was in self-imposed Lockdown because of the spread of Omicron.

      Delete