Sunday, March 20, 2022

THE KITCHEN

I find it hard to believe but it is 5 years since I moved here.  At the time Doug did work on the kitchen making a large larder type cupboard which was actually for crockery.  The kitchen then got left while the rest of the house was repainted and many other jobs completed.

With the arrival of Omicron and the thought of possible isolation we decided to make our own bread and bought a breadmaker for Doug's "real" bread.  As there are cupboards above the bench I wanted somewhere to put the breadmaker so asked Doug to build me a trolley.  It was built partly to specifications for the area it was to sit but also governed by the timber that Doug had stored.  I am thrilled with the final result and love the top which was actually part of an old bed headboard.  





As well as making the trolley Doug also repainted the kitchen and made a couple of shelves for one of the cupboards.  (Things on the top shelf were hard to get at so he made a blocked off half shelf at the bottom and half shelf at the top).  It is great.  Doug likes Bonne Maman jam and the jars are useful for storing so many things. At present there are several in the deep freeze with stewed rhubarb and apple.



When Doug bought this house he decorated it in what was supposed to be white but was more of a grey.  This colour is much warmer.  

Since it has been finished I have made Doug three loaves of bread, 2 white and one with oats and bran and have a fourth cooking at present which is wholemeal and white flour with rice added and is a loaf I always enjoyed when I used to make bread previously.  I have also made four loaves with the new Gluten Free flour I have found that makes a much softer loaf.  As long as I can still get the High Grade flour and yeast we are now o.k. for bread.

17 comments:

  1. I do, do, DO so like the bread trolley.Does Doug have a copyright, love the drawer and is that a pull out shelf too? I have a friend who makes their bread all the time, and at a guess they have gone through 3 breadmakers, over many years, I gave them mine as I don't have room for it now. But to have it there, so easy to use, and there is nothing quite like that wonderful aroma .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trolley is great isn't it. It has a bottom shelf and a drawer either end. The top handle is to help move it. I think this is my fourth breadmaker (all Panasonic). When Max and I were up north I started making our bread by hand and then when I hurt my shoulder bought a breadmaker. The new loaf looks perfect. Although the kitchen is very large there was no bench space for it that was not under a cupboard.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great having a Handy Man around the home? Doug has made an awesome job on the breadmaker trolley.
    Love that smell of fresh homemade bread :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has done a great job as always. I have just made a gf fruit loaf (not in breadmaker) and house smells wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I think everyone keeps their BM jars for storage or jam making. We have a huge box full, as well as ones in use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful skillful work.love that bread trolley! Very well done done Doug x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread - Doug with his great skills is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rosemary, Doug's loaf in the breadmaker this morning and my gf loaf in the oven made the house smell divine.

      Delete
  6. That looks a very useful and well-made trolley - you don't see stuff like that in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exactly what was needed and all he bought were the wheels and screws the rest was what he found among his treasures.

      Delete
  7. I will have to try the gluten free flour as I struggle with normal types, it seems to aggravate my reflux. I like your kit chen though, it's very modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get used to eating gluten free it is quite simple. Our kitchen is quite large. Doug had the kitchen redone when he bought at the end of 2008.

      Delete
  8. Doug sounds very handy to have around. Do you loan him out? lol. My hubby isn't super handy that way. The cart looks awesome. Used to use a bread maker a lot, no clue if it still works. Should check it out, though no clue if I have the book still that tells you how to do things. Should rummage through the basement to see if it's there.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be able to find instructions on line. No chance to loan Doug out as he is kept busy here. Currently building a a Tui (bird) feeder for youngest daughter and did more work in cupboards today. He also wants to get back to carving a Kiwi.

      Delete
  9. Making blog rounds and waving hello. Sorry to hear Doug's not available on loan, lol. Good idea looking for directions on line for the machine. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete