Saturday, April 2, 2022

AUTUMN

Autumn is here.  On Tuesday Doug phoned and ordered 2 loads of firewood.  We thought it would take a while before delivery but we got one load on Tuesday and the second on Wednesday.  We put both loads away and counted 13 large wheelbarrow loads plus a few boxes of smaller wood for the second lot.  I must say it knocked us as we were both tired on Thursday.  The wood is untreated offcuts from a Timber Mill and is various sizes.  Should keep us nice and warm.



We are still in self imposed Lockdown as daily new cases of Covid in Whangarei are still in the hundreds but we keep busy with the garden and, for me, making Doug's bread and g.f. bread for me.  

I have removed all the tomatoes, I planted fewer this year but had an excellent crop and have plenty in the deep freezer for winter.  I cut and used my basil making both pesto and pistou  but the plants have regrown so well that I have just made some more pesto.  The first lot of broccoli is coming on well although the cabbage white has managed to get through the netting I  covered them with.  I have some  purple sprouting broccoli , pak choi, silver beet (chard)  and perpetual spinach seedlings still to go in.  We have only been going to the Growers' Market and supermarket on a fortnightly basis.  Last Saturday it was still dark as we shopped at the Market but the clocks go back tonight so it will be a bit better next week.

Doug has just been cleaning out his butterfly cage so I took a photo of some of the Monarch caterpillars.  This is just one jar of them, he has 6 jars in the cage.  He is just about to release his 200th Monarch Butterfly this year, no wonder the garden is full of them.


Weatherwise it has been lovely autumn weather with sunny days and temps of 25° - 27° C whereas Australia has been having almost continuous rain.  I see we have rain forecast for next week although it was also forecast for this week and then vanished.  We are still watering the garden daily so some rain would be good.

While I was writing this our neighbour just messaged to see if we would like some fresh Mitimiti mussels in the shell.  Doug has just been across the road to get them and opened them in the microwave.  There are about 5 dozen and they are delicious.  Lunch sorted.

9 comments:

  1. You seem to grow all the things I used to. Have you grown Cavolo Nero? It's an easy crop, and when finished in late Winter will re-sprout from the bare stems. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I grew it last winter and it kept on growing. Not my preferred green though.

      Delete
  2. Cabbage munching caterpillars are a problem! I think that we have to have a mesh fine enough to keep them out, not just the butterflies..I am sure that they advance upon the protected veg from those brassicas outside the netting!
    Good to have a decent store of wood. then you can be warm even with a power cut!!
    You both garden so well...reading about it keeps me inspired 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both enjoy gardening and, even though the Growers' Market is excellent I much prefer fresh vegies from the garden.

      Delete
  3. You should be warm and cosy this winter - I didn't realise that you were in lock down - keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in self-imposed lockdown while Omicron is doing the rounds.

      Delete
  4. That was certainly a quick firewood delivery, and I can imagine why you were tired afterwards. Must be lovely having all those beautiful Monarchs fluttering around your garden.
    Take care, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often have to duck around the Monarchs as there are so many of them.

      Delete
  5. You are doing the right thing by staying in isolation away from others. Covid is literally rife in Northland right now. My family in Mangawhai has had it, we've had it, I'm still trying to get rid of it, it is literally awful.

    ReplyDelete