Wednesday, November 16, 2022

BUSY

There are never enough hours in the day.  The boundary fence is gradually coming down ready to put the new paling fence up.  I cannot remember if I mentioned that we are going to build the fence ourselves.  Doug as the fencer and me the helper.

Last week we had two storms, one on Wednesday and the other on Friday.  There were strong winds and  a lot of flooding around and we had a very wet lawn but it soon dried out.  

I staked the foxgloves and they survived except from the smaller ones on the large white foxglove so I picked them and put them in a vase.


I was quite surprised that the gardenias are looking so good in spite of the storms.  They are so pretty.


Yesterday we drove down to Mangawhai and met up with an old school friend of Doug's they often talk on the phone but he hadn't seen her for about 40 years so it was great to catch up. We drove on the coast road from Waipu and it was a very pleasant drive.

We got home just before our Japanese Cedar palings were delivered (the cypress rails had been delivered the previous day).  We now have to order the posts, screws, stain, concrete etc. and will be able to start the job.

The bananas have been wonderful.  This is one of the later bunches.



and this is the stem with just a few bananas left.   We picked just under 9 kgs from this bunch.




13 comments:

  1. And maintenance is hard work, but the rewards are HUGE.and DIY, sometimes the best way. Love those bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pity you are not closer. All the neighbours have had some. 9 kings is a lot of bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will always think of Mangawhai as home, I'm glad you got to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized you had lived there. My late mother-in-law was born there in 1898 in a house built by her father. It was later lifted up and another story put underneath and became Tara Lodge.

      Delete
  4. We had nasty wind and rain yesterday. All the petals are now off the roses, and the last of our apples have disappeared. It seems calmer this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how everything had survived here.

      Delete
  5. I do envy you your home grown bananas - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, bananas! :D
    I can nearly smell those gorgeous gardenias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are looking so good in spite of the rain and, as you say, the perfume is divine.

      Delete
  7. Just seeing if I can comment...

    ReplyDelete