Wednesday, November 23, 2022

POSTAL SERVICES

A couple of weeks ago I checked the posting dates for Christmas mail and found that for U.K. it was 18th November.  Other years I have had trouble with mail not arriving by Christmas even though it was posted in time so I bought some Christmas cards and started on letters to accompany them.  When we went to Mangawhai last week I took the cards for U.K. and Canada and posted them.  Below is the list of posting dates.




Last night I phoned a cousin for his 89th birthday and during the conversation he asked about our bananas.  I wondered how he knew about them and he told me the card had arrived on Monday.  I suppose it is better to be early rather than late but it does seem a bit early.  This week I posted the cards to Australia and wonder when they will get to their destination.

I used to send a lot of cards but now only send them to people who are not on the internet or unable to receive e-cards for some reason. This morning I received a call from a friend who also received a card. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to get a parcel of to USA before the 28th. No telling how the postal service works anywhere these days, like the weather . We had torrential rain very early today, and almost gale winds ALL day. I could almost light the fire, just put on more winter clothes instead.!!! Hope it's better for you up north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, we had the fourth heavy rain and strong wind warnings for the month. Lovely day today though.

      Delete
  2. Our postal service is a total mess. They seem to be on strike most of the time and we have to go down to the sorting office to ask if they have anything for us. The way they're going, they'll all strike themselves out of a job; just like the coal miners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you get deliveries? The two cards I have heard about went from here to Reading and Welshpool in under a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The postal service here is being manipulated politically so that they can get it privatised and in their mates' hands....
    Otherwise the service is fine.
    I remember Xmas post in NZ one year taking 4 days to get from one side of Auckland to the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may still take mail 4 days to go across Auckland. Our mail goes down to Auckland then back to here. (or it did when they stopped sorting it here and I assume it is still the case) I was really surprised that they arrived so quickly as often they don't arrive in time. I don't know if they have all arrived.

      Delete
  5. I sent my cards to NZ at the end of November last year and they arrived in February. I'll send them next week , only a few now. Very few send them back. They're fast going out of fashion.
    Wonder when they'll arrive this year. Not as fast as yours I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are usually like yours taking ages. A bit embarrassing having them arrive so early.

      Delete
  6. well that's quick. I sent a care package to the USA about 6 weeks ago by economy, I'm wondering how long it will take to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here the last date for sending economy mail to the States was the 31st October. I dutifully posted a card on that day only to discover that the recipient has already received the card last week. I feel rather annoyed, as who wants to receive a Christmas card in mid-November. Next year I shall be wiser and take no notice of their cut off date.
    Reading all of the other comments it now appears that the whole world wide postal service is completely unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year we will most likely find it back to usual and takes ages!

      Delete
  8. The card to your cousin did arrive a wee bit early, for sure. Better early than never? :D

    ReplyDelete