Saturday, July 22, 2023

MID WINTER IN THE GARDEN



 These are just a few of the flowers blooming in our Mid winter garden.

Lachenalia is lovely and bright and pops up in a few parts of the garden.


I don't know the name of this succulent but it does well and I must get around to getting some cuttings so I can spread it along the front of the bed.



I never know whether these are "yellow red hot pokers" or "yellow hot pokers" but they are doing well.  A very small clump was given to me by a friend. I must get some red ones.



Bergenia - the bottom one I bought at the Quarry Gardens and the top one was from a friend.



This marigold came from a packet of seeds I bought on line.  I sowed them among the vegies and they are coming up all over.  I will plant some out in the flower garden when the weather improves enough to do some proper gardening.


Mexican Marigold.  A few years ago we got a couple of bare cuttings from the Monarch Butterfly Society.  When we pruned it back we have stuck cuttings in all over the garden.  The Monarchs love it and it provides a nice splash of winter colour.



and we have another banana flower. There are 4 bunches and now this 5th flower.  


And last snowdrops. A lady in the next street asked for some Lachenalia bulbs and in exchange asked if I would like some snowdrops and bluebells.  I was thrilled as I always thought we were too far north (not cold enough) for snowdrops. 




Not bad considering all the rain we have had.

12 comments:

  1. I always had Marigolds growing amongst the vegs. Not only does it serve a purpose, but it's attractive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have them coming up between the veg.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is bright with colour. I would love some marigolds. Our neighbour grows them so they do well here. Must look for some seeds or plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just pick a few seed heads from your neighbour's plants.

      Delete
  3. Apart from the pot of snowdrops your garden still retains a resemblance to that of a summer garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think things are a bit early this year.

      Delete
  4. I like marigolds, even their smell. I think because we were given packets of seed when we were children, so they were the first experience I had of things growing. Your winter garden looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the smell of marigolds as well. The garden looks good apart from all the weeds.

      Delete
  5. It's good to have something bright in the winter..lifts the spirits no end

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, lovely garden fare. The red/orange variety of the 'yellow hot poker' plants are all over this area. We've many plants from your neck of the woods (and Oz) thrive here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting some of the red ones will be good.

    ReplyDelete