Sunday, October 21, 2018

OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW

Bought a few plants at the Market yesterday.  Doug planted a couple of Lavender in the front garden yesterday while I planted a couple of aubergines and half a dozen dwarf butter bean plants in one of the new built up gardens.  I usually grow beans from seed but these looked good and should be earlier than sowing the seed now.

Today I cleared out all the broccoli plants except one that is not quite ready then weeded, Doug hoed and fed it and I planted a couple of courgette plants. I also sowed a row of mixed climbing beans saved from last year.  A few are scarlet runners and the rest unknown. 

The snails are a real pest this year and had been eating the broccoli leaves.  The foxglove is flowering well next to a few onions.



Looking better.  I also did some weeding and clearing in other parts of the garden.  After a cool snap it is warm today.  21 degrees C according to the computer although it feels more.


We can now buy some more plants and sow some more seeds.  Roll on summer.  I have already made successive sowings of lettuce which we have been eating for a while now.  I add to the lettuce some rocket which I buy at the market for $1.  a bundle.




12 comments:

  1. It all sounds very good. Our local horses would have loved those Broccoli plants; I always give them mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our next section is so much smaller, and container plants might be the answer.Do you use special mix for your lettuce? Did I tell you we have a new home, native timber, built in 1951, move in on 7th December, so a few weeks with a friend, he has so kindly offered his huge caravan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great about your new home. I have sent an email.

      Delete
  3. green days, healthy days..
    healthy living is made possible from the backyard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen dwarf butter bean plants,only vigorous tall varieties...don't forget to save seed for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it certainly is satisfying being able to grow and harvest your own veges. I've found the cabbage butterflies have been flying around my cabbages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to run around with a butterfly net catching them!!

      Delete
  6. Looking good! Your lettuce looks especially tasty.

    ReplyDelete