Sunday, January 20, 2019

SUNFLOWERS AND COSMOS

Last year I grew some sunflowers from seed obtained in a promotion from New World Supermarket.  I collected some seed but planted it fairly late this year because of a cold snap.  They are flowering well (more are behind the cosmos).

The cosmos, on the other hand, we bought as seedlings.  The one on the left has behaved as we expected - not grown too big and has flowered.  We are not sure what is going on with the others - they just keep on growing and, so far, not one flower. They are taller than me and take over most of the flower bed.  I can just see some small buds forming so hopefully there will soon be some flowers.


7 comments:

  1. Those Cosmos are enormous, almost as big as the sunflowers. You must have some good rich soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that. The one flowering on the left was in the same pack and is what we expected.

      Delete
  2. Even without blooms it's nice to look out and see green I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must post a photo of the views from our house.

      Delete
  3. We are finding our new garden gets a lot of wind, but sunflowers could be on the list for a sheltered place. Yours are so high and bright, I love the way they turn during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had quite a lot of wind lately. It has just got up again now. I hadn't grown sunflowers until I moved here.

      Delete
  4. I hope you like the Cosmos - in my experience if they do manage to flower you'll have Cosmos every year as they self-seeded all over the place. The problem may be that they've been cared for too well - either too much water or the soil's too fertile.

    ReplyDelete