Sunday, January 14, 2018

SUNDAY

A quiet Sunday.  We decided not to go to our usual gym session this morning but did go to the local Tikipunga market where we bought an interesting book on superfoods, some avocados, a bunch of carrots (ours are still a bit too small), a slice of apple pie for Doug and another dozen sweetcorn.  We then walked Sophie in the park and came home for breakfast. 

The sweetcorn has been blanched and is off the cobs and chilling before being packed up for the freezer.

This week I bought a spiraliser and today pulled our first beetroot so I have just used the spiraliser on a beetroot, a couple of carrots and a cucumber.  For lunch we had the carrots and beetroot tossed with balsamic dressing with some walnuts, feta cheese and tomatoes.  It was delicious.  The cucumber was sliced on the spiraliser as well and was much easier to use than I expected.



this is what is left of the vegetables after spiralising


6 comments:

  1. I bought a spiralser a couple of years ago, but have never used it. You salad looks wonderful and very pretty so maybe I will open that box and try that kitchen tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy to do that (buy something and just put it in the cupboard). I found mine very easy to work and we enjoyed the results.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I also enjoy the season for soups and stews. That is one reason I like living where there are seasons.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to local markets (and Op shops!) when we come back to NZ again...much more lively than ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. My mother was from Oswestry and we used to visit there and I loved the Oswestry market. We didn't have one where I grew up in Surrey. I must say I love our markets and the op shops.

      Delete