Friday, February 14, 2020

DROUGHT AND DENTIST

A drought has finally been declared for the whole of Northland.  This will mean that farmers will be able to get help and, if needed, welfare payments.  Apparently, it is the sixth drought declared here since 2009.  I know that our garden is so dry that even the daily watering doesn't really alleviate it.  Hopefully, it will keep plants alive until rain comes.

There is still talk that we, in Whangarei, may have some restrictions in order to supply other towns that are in danger of running out of water.  We have been told this for over a week but nothing has happened yet.

A couple of weeks ago I went for my annual check up at the dentist - this had been postponed because of my cough (I was able to suck a Vick's cough lozenge while visiting the doctor etc. but not for the dentist!).  He said I needed some fillings replaced.  I was expecting this as he had suggested a year ago that they were getting towards that stage.  I could have put it off again but decided to go ahead but when I was told it would be a 2 hour appointment I opted to have 2 x 1 hour sessions.  The first of those was on Wednesday.  Things change in dentistry every time I visit and it is a different world from my childhood visits when "gas" was administered.

I have complete faith in Malcolm, my dentist.  When we were about to move down here from Kaitaia I called in to my then dentist to tell them of our move and the receptionist told me that Malcolm was a dentist here in Whangarei.  His late father was a vet in Kaitaia so we knew his father but not him.

Anyway, I had two fillings and during the process there was the mention of pieces of string.  When he had finished Malcolm told me that one of the gums could be sore for 1 - 2 weeks because he had to pull the gum back with the string in order to access the tooth.  That was all new to me.  Luckily, it was only uncomfortable for a couple of days so, hopefully, will be healed when I go back next Thursday for the second session.  Unfortunately, I have come to the stage when all sorts of things are wearing out.

12 comments:

  1. LOL there are all sorts of funny bits wearing out as we get older! Good luck with your next dentist appointment, and still hoping we get rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye, as you say all sorts of bits start wearing out. It is cooler here at the moment and quite windy but no sign of rain.

      Delete
  2. We had a message from our Mayor recently asking everyone (farmers) who had suffered from last year's drought, to make claims. OK, it was hot and dry, but I didn't think it was enough for monetary claims! Yes, I need a whole body transplant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely, they would have needed help at the time, not the following year.

      Delete
  3. You are lucky to get such good dental care. We get the basics unless we go into the big city and even then I can imagine those procedures are not common here and would cost a bomb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cost me $450 and I expect next weeks will be about the same (I hope it is not more). Only free for children

      Delete
  4. Glad that the drought is now official...it has been actual for weeks, has it not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dentistry has come a long way over the years, I worked in the industry for 5 years and learned alot, luckily we have anaesthetic, I remember at school we didn't have it with the dental nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug was just talking about a manually operated drill that the dental nurse used. I am sure it would have been better in your days at school.

      Delete
  6. Do you realize there's a 12 word phrase you can say to your partner... that will induce intense emotions of love and instinctual appeal to you deep inside his chest?

    Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's instinct to love, cherish and protect you with his entire heart...

    12 Words That Trigger A Man's Love Instinct

    This instinct is so built-in to a man's mind that it will drive him to try better than ever before to make your relationship as strong as it can be.

    Matter of fact, fueling this dominant instinct is so important to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will instantly notice him expose his soul and heart to you in a way he never experienced before and he will identify you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly fascinated him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a drought declared in 2013 also. Ever since the aerosol spraying started, the droughts have been common. American historian, James Fleming's book, Fixing The Sky, mentions that Mexico accused the United States of causing a long drought in the 1960s, and in response to their complaints, restrictions were put on where cloud seeding could take place.  https://chemtrailsnorthnz.wordpress.com/2020/02/24/much-needed-rain-for-northland-bit-the-chemdust-22-2-2020/

    ReplyDelete