Sunday, January 3, 2021

WHAT A COUPLE OF DAYS

 Yesterday morning we went to the market as usual (right day this time) but a lot of stalls were missing.  We managed to get what we wanted except for the peaches.  The weather was fine for the market but then we got a few hours of lovely steady rain.  Could have done with more but what we got was very welcome.

Doug was fine in the morning but after lunch he was in pain and felt nauseous.  I asked if it was his hernia as he often feels like that but he told me it wasn't and he thought it was food poisoning or a bug.  He then realised that his hernia had come out but still thought that was not the cause of the problem.  He didn't eat for the rest of the day and was in a lot of pain.  

I told him to wake me if he was not well in the night but when I woke at 6 a.m. he was feeling miserable and had been vomiting all night.  He still thought it was not the hernia.  We had two choices - either go to Accident and Emergency or to White Cross which is an after hours doctor service (it is a long weekend here).

As he didn't think it was the hernia causing the problem we decided to go to White Cross and they open at 8 a.m. so we got there half an hour early to be first in the queue.  He saw a lovely doctor who thought the problem WAS his hernia and phoned the hospital and arranged for him to see a surgeon. 

So he ended up in A & E after all (It would have been $65 cheaper to go straight there).  They did an x-ray then a scan and blood test and gave him intravenous fluids.  The surgeons were operating on emergency cases and one finally came to see Doug a little after 3 p.m.  He was able to get the hernia back in (presumably as Doug had been lying down for several hours at this stage).  They were still worried as the hernia had been blocking the bowel hence the vomiting.

Anyway, it seems as though he will not need an emergency operation now but is still in hospital and we think they will operate in a day or two.  I came home at about 4.30 pm just after they found a bed for him in a ward.  I have just spoken to his daughter who visited him this evening and he had still not had any food although he was given a small glass of water.   He was due to have a doctor see him about now.  If I wake in time I will go in for the Doctors' round at 7 a.m. - apparently it is held between 7 am and 8 am.

This is the first time since the aborted operation at the beginning of October that the hernia has come out.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, what a worrying time for you both, I hope that they decide to do surgery, this is too painful And scary.In any hospital all things seem to take ages < the last time I was in ED, they did say at about 11 p.m. they would move me to the AAU, a 4 bed ward there for assessment patients,That didn't happen so I was on the narrow solid slab one all night.Hope Doug has a comfortable bed and you are there to meet up with a Dr in the morning. Sending virtual hugs and a heap of good wishes.XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. At least he is now in a ward. (and in the best place where he can be monitored).

      Delete
  2. Hope all goes well and the hernia gets sorted. Better than having to live with that in the back of your mind all the time, fearing what would happen.
    Sending big hugs and wishing you enough rain xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Must have been a heavy dew in night which helps.

      Delete
  3. Tom has had a hernia for years. He had it operated on way back in the 70's but it came back. His solution, although a bit archaic now is to wear a truss to keep it in. He didnt fancy another op but it works and has solved the problem. just an idea. Hope he soon feels better. All these things happen as we get older just when we could do without them dont they?
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug had two operated on about 20 - 30 years ago. This time he has not wanted an op but in October got as far as being prepped ready for one when they ran out of time. He was offered a truss nearly a year ago but did not hear any more and didn't follow it up as I think he thought it wouldn't do any good. I think with the seriousness of it this time blocking the bowel he will have the op but will definitely tell him about Tom when I go in.Thank you.

      Delete
  4. All the best to Doug. i hope everything goes well. I confess to being puzzled about your comment, "If I wake in time." You don't have an alarm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did set the alarm on my phone (it has a gentle wake up tune) but in the night decided it would be better to wait and go in at visiting time so unset it although I was awake early.

      Delete
  5. oh no, I can imagine how painful it is. Both B and i have hernias too but I take a daily herb capsule to keep it in check, haven't had any issues so far. Hope Doug is in and out of hospital and back home in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug has been using massage and exercises but, although it has been less frequent it has been more serious lately. What is the herb capsule you use?

      Delete
  6. Oh my, Susan. I hope your next post will tell us that Doug is doing better. You are both in my thoughts and I hope that Doug will be home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that. I hope Doug gets his operation soon. At least he is now in a place where an eye can be kept on him. Sending you hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Doug, that is so painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very painful and Doug has a high pain threshold. At least it is all behind him now.

      Delete