We left him to have blood tests and x-rays and were told we would not hear until about midday. Finally just after 2 p.m. I got a call and was told that it would be easier to tell us the problem in person and she will not be free until 5 p.m. (it is now 3.15 so we have a while to wait. I will update later.
LATER: We went back at 5 p.m. but had to wait as there had been an emergency and she was running late. The blood tests showed up an overactive thyroid and we were told about various treatments starting with sending him down to Auckland. The one we have opted for is giving him a tablet each day and special food. He seemed a lot worse today or perhaps it was the stress of going in to the vets.
The x-rays were not good either as there is some sort of mass next to his heart. Anyway, we are starting on the thyroid and will see how he progresses from there. As Doug said to Natalie we may have to sell the house and live in a tent with Bobby if he continues to be so expensive. He has been with us under 5 months so far.
Anyway, the news could have been a lot worse. As you can imagine it has been a stressful day.