Wednesday, March 3, 2021

JOBS WELL DONE

The other day Doug sharpened the blades on my little mulching machine.  These photos are from a couple of years ago.




Straight after breakfast I pulled out all the old stems from the alstroemerias and then put them through the mulcher.  It was so much better with sharp blades.  While I was mulching Doug cut back the earliest flowering crepe myrtle and I put them through as well.

We also had a seedling peach that we had let grow in the back garden but it was, obviously, going to be too big so Doug cut that back.  I put the smaller branches through the machine and the larger ones will be firewood or kindling.  

While I made a cup of tea Doug cut back the fuchsia plants then he mulched them while I prepared about 8 capsicums for the freezer.  We also tried a branch of buddleia in the machine and it worked well so later on when the second crepe myrtle has finished we will get the mulcher out again. 

The mulch has gone around the banana plants.  About six wheelbarrow loads of branches don't make a lot of mulch.




Doug then mowed the back lawn while I did some weeding. I then got lunch ready and this afternoon we have taken it easy and enjoyed the rain showers.  Slightly cooler today with a high of 27° C although it has cooled with the showers.

10 comments:

  1. I would love be a mulcher. It must be so satisfying to see those branches go through a produce the mulch. Very healthy looking banana palms. Too small for bananas yet, or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great little machine. Not sure how long we will have to wait for bananas but it will be a while yet

      Delete
  2. We've had two lots of thunder rumble around us today, but no actual storm to talk about. The breeze has been rather pleasant. That mulcher looks like a good investment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mulcher is great for small branches. Max and I had Hansa that we bought from Hamilton when we were on our 6 acre block but it would have been too big and noisy in town so we bought this electric one when we moved here ten years ago.

      Delete
  3. I think a mulcher/shredder will be on my list of things to acquire! A very handy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one works surprisingly well especially with sharp blades.

      Delete
  4. oh cool, what a handy machine to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great turns a large pile of branches into a small pile of mulch.

      Delete
  5. You and Doug got so much accomplished in the morning. It is the best time to do outside work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Arleen, I always try to start early to get jobs done.

      Delete