Wednesday, December 29, 2021

THE VEGETABLE GARDEN

The vegetable garden is coming on well.  I have been watering it every night (I know it is better done in the morning but that does not seem to fit with our routine).  Yesterday, we finally had rain forecast and it was pleasantly cooler but stayed dry so at 5 p.m. I went out and started to water even though there were black clouds around as I thought the rain may well land somewhere else.  I had been watering for a few minutes when I heard a noise like a freight train and realised it was the rain.  I turned off the tap and put the hose away just in time as huge drops came down with thunder and lightening.  It did not last long and then went to a light drizzle but it was very welcome.

The "bunnies" were a Christmas gift.  In behind them are some newly planted lettuces.



The first of the Capsicums is ripening.  Also have red and orange.



It is hard to get a photo of the tomatoes but a lot have set.  Just have to wait for them to ripen.




and basil with them


The beans are looking good.



and two types of cucumber, these apple ones and Lebanese which we have been eating for a while now.


6 comments:

  1. IF I get back to France next year, and IF I plant some Tomatoes, I hope they'll be as productive as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still a lot that can happen to the tomatoes before harvest the main one being blight but I am always hopeful. I thought you were only in the U.K. for a short (3 month?) stay before returning to your home.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, as ever!
    An approaching rain shower does sound like a train!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really heavy shower with huge raindrops. Much needed rain though.

      Delete
  3. Your bunnies are delightful. I love these surprises in amongst the plants. Looks like a good healthy range of summer veges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the same daughter who gave us a seagull a couple of years ago.

      Delete