Saturday, May 13, 2023

A YELLOW ORB

It was 2nd May when my seedlings arrived and I heeled them in before the storm hit.  Finally, yesterday, ten days later there was this sign from above - a yellow orb in the sky.  We got busy, I did several loads of washing and got it dry and Doug prepared a couple of beds for me to plant out the vegetable seedlings.

Today after our usual early morning trip to the Growers' Market and Supermarket we both got busy in the garden.  I planted out my Italian Precoce Broccoli ( I hope they are correct as the stems looked slightly purple) and some red spring onions.  I then did some weeding in the front garden and planted some stock seedlings.  While I did this Doug weeded alongside the new fence.  While in the vegetable garden I was surprised to see a lot of beans coming up.  Our weird weather must have confused them.

Tomorrow, I have some pansies and geranium seedlings to plant out.  It was lovely to finally be able to get out and do some gardening.  

No photo of the garden but this is the fruit we purchased - the pineapple and persimmons from the Growers' Market and the bananas and kiwifruit from the supermarket and the lovely tomatoes from the Growers' Market.  


 We also bought spinach, lettuce, watercress, Brussels sprouts at the market and a cauliflower from the Supermarket. 

14 comments:

  1. When I get to France I shall plant Broccoli and Courgettes, both of which I expect to give me crops before we return here in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you need some time for identification? I have heard that the yellow orb is scarce and hard to find. What wonderful goodies at the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been very scarce here. I have never known so much rain. Hope it is back tomorrow so I can get the rest of the seedlings in the ground. It was so good to be working in the garden.

      Delete
  3. I don't know where that yellow orb has been, we haven't seen much of it here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, another lovely day today and more done in the garden. Everything still very wet though. Hope you start to get some sun soon.

      Delete
  4. We have the yellow orb!!!!.. until tomorrow..so we are getting on with the garden like you. Glad you are having a relief from those weather bombs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose spring weather is variable but autumn is usually more stable. Not this year.

      Delete
  5. We have seen some of that yellow orb as well - isn't it lovely? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, sounds as though it will be around till Friday when another storm is due!

      Delete
  6. Nice produce spread! Persimmons, especially that type, are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the persimmons are just coming into season. Delicious.

      Delete
  7. Our tomatoes have finished fruiting and had to be pulled out this week, washing is taking days to dry because of the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled our tomatoes out to make way for winter vegies. You have had pretty good weather since you moved there.

      Delete