Friday, May 26, 2023

COMPOST



When Doug built the pond and transferred the waterlilies from the pots hiding behind the sheds I decided to move the compost bins.  I had already placed our new compost bin behind the sheds and yesterday and today we have finally had sunny days so I have been busy.

I transferred the material from the top of the two bins at the bottom of the garden into one of them that I had moved behind the sheds.  

I have then sieved the compost from the bottom of the bins into 3 rubbish bins.  I think the plastic bins are 45 litres and the metal one a bit less so I have a good quantity of excellent compost.  

It has been hard work but I am very pleased with the result.  Now to see if I can get the photos sorted.  I presume something has been updated because, suddenly my photos do not go to  One Drive any more, in fact I can't even find them so I will try and transfer them straight from my phone.





Well, it worked.  The top photo is one of the new bins of sieved compost and the bottom one three bins full of sieved compost and the compost bins two of which are half full and the other empty ready for autumn pruning.

Well, I started the day at 7 a.m. making two loaves of bread and then, after breakfast started work on the bins.  It is now just after 4 pm. so I am going to put my feet up and read.

14 comments:

  1. My compost making is a much more haphazard affair. You put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine usually is but I wanted to get this sorted properly and am thrilled with the result. Tired but happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, that's a very long working day, but what great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took 2 days to sort the compost. Should sleep well tonight.

      Delete
  4. Well done..that is a lot of work but worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They hadn't been emptied completely for years. Lots of lovely compost now.

      Delete
  5. I imagine you will sleep well tonight - I hope you can still walk tomorrow! I get so stiff and sore now when doing something really physical, so have to do it in small bits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, not too bad. Up early tomorrow for the Growers' Market.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is going to love that compost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a satisfying day, well done you! Now you can put your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very satisfying. Another heavy rain and strong wind watch for today and it is already blowing a hooley so an indoors day.

      Delete
  8. You certainly were a busy bee!

    We don't compost in the garden, but rather collect the food scraps and let the refuse company take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the refuse company does with it. There is a big push here to keep food scraps out of landfill.

      Delete