Monday, December 30, 2019

CHRISTMAS AND BIRTHDAYS

Christmas was unusual this year.  We had an enjoyable day with family but food wise I only ate a frittata that I made and some salad.  It was delicious with sweet potatoe, sweetcorn and festive ham.   I had  been to the G.P. on Christmas Eve as my cough was getting worse if anything and that was after about 3 months.  It was agreed I would stop the meds for high blood pressure as they can cause a cough. She also prescribed prednisone and an antibiotic and I had a chest x-ray.  I was still not 100% on Christmas Day and did not feel like anything heavy so the frittata was ideal.  Since then we have been eating the ham and on Saturday we ordered a roast scotch fillet as we had friends and family coming for lunch yesterday (Sunday).  Partly to celebrate my birthday today and the almost completion of the deck (it just needs painting, gutters and some weather curtains installed).  Co-incidentally yesterday was  my sister-in-law's birthday (Lady Magnon).

We had a most enjoyable lunch and the new tables were ideal placed lengthwise for 8 people.  This morning I arranged them side by side which is ideal for just the two of us and we ate our lunch out there.  Tomorrow we have Doug's grandson, his partner and 7 month old daughter coming for lunch (leftovers).

Yesterday was to be a "no present" day but I still received presents from everyone.  I thought Gwynneth would be interested in the one below - a butter/cheese dish.  It would be a local potter as my friend said she bought all her presents at the Town Basin so presume it came from the Bach.  I like the decoration on it.


One of our Christmas presents was a generic seagull that will not need feeding.


I thought I had taken a photo of the two tables end to end for our Sunday lunch but these are all I can find obviously before we set the tables.



 Then this morning I moved them side by side which worked very well for lunch today.




We are very pleased with the artificial trellis (well, the trellis is wood and the leaves artificial) it provides some privacy from the neighbouring property.

Very happy with the whole set up.  Not so happy about being another year older although the alternative does not appeal.

14 comments:

  1. We gave up on gift giving about fifteen years ago. And the last thing we need is more knick knacks, cheese boards, butter dishes etc no matter how attractive! Festive activities, if I am absolutely truthful, are more of an intrusion than a pleasure and I am never more glad that when we get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other presents on Sunday were a lovely bouquet of flowers and a Lisianthus plant. For Doug's daughters and grandchildren we made up our own Food Hampers which were well received and my stepdaughter in Australia sent a food parcel of delicious Gluten Free foods.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Susan. Don’t worry about the numbers, be proud of them and how well you and Doug are doing. You two accomplish more than people twenty years younger.

    It sounds like you had a very nice holiday. Your deck, table and trellis look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it is still going on with Grandson, partner and now 7 month old Great-granddaughter to lunch today.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a happy birthday. Hope your health query gets sorted soon.
    That is a beautiful and practical dish, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the coughing is improving and finally starting to feel better.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Susan! A seagull that doesn't sniff around looking for food?! How curious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday , and many more of them. I hope that cough disappears soon.
    Love the pottery and the seagull. Lovely presents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the cough is a lot better. I am hopeful but not sure which of the "cures" is making the difference.

      Delete
  6. The terrace looks very comfortable and welcoming. I think my Emails have now reached you; my machine doesn't like sending photos etc; we're at the end of an over-used line, and signals are weak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Susan (even if a little belated). I think your little dish is gorgeous. Mxx

    ReplyDelete